Is this frame scrap?

Jonba

Dirt Disciple
Leading question which tells you what im thinking. Bought a cheap frame with the intention of getting it repainted. Have found out that somebody has drilled the downtube. Was hidden by a bad respray. Not sure why but the holes go all the way through and out the otherside. I don't want to waste more money. My options are repair it or not, Powder coat it or not, bin it or ride it.

https://flic.kr/p/Pg7xSp

Anybody have any thoughts. Would a repair be cost effective. Powder coating is more than the frame cost already.

Badly done bosses for a bottle cage? Or to hang something else, more likely as it's a tourer... Difficult to tell from the picture. Shouldn't affect the strength of the tube though. Btw it would help a lot in future if you spell check or read over posts as it would make it much easier to understand what you are asking :)

Re:

Sorry, i couldn't even understand my post. Issues with phone autocorrect so have editted it.

I think it is badly drilled bottle bosses. I think it might be ok to ride as a hack but i was hoping for something that looked nice.

I'd pop on a blob of MIG weld. Holes are places for cracks to start, but that far down the tube it's probably not worth worrying about it. Bottle bosses on the Vitus 979, for example, aren't brazed in, they're just rivet nuts.

Re:

Don't spend any money on it. Save it for one that looks nice already

Re:

I think ill do nothing to it. Build it to ride as i have all the bits and wait for a better one to come up. Maybe fill the holes spray it badly and shift it on like someone did to me ;)

Re:

Yup, assuming they're somewhere suitable and speed at 2.5"/63.5mm centres , probably best to drill them out (7.3mm usually) and fit M5 rivnuts.
No problem structurally, plenty of aluminium and steel frames rivnuts.

All the best,

unfortunately the holes are wonky. They are off centre. It looks like who ever did it couldnt get the drill inside the triangle so has gone from underneath and all the way through. Unfortnately they have completely missed.

Set up a search on ebay for another cheap bike/frame. Unless anyone has a nice 23" 531 frame in the newcastle area.

:? Bizarre..sorry to hear that it's been mutilated.
Some people are very strange :evil:, considering you can get band-on bottle bosses for under a tenner.

All the best,

Back