Which Tyres?

Collidunc

Dirt Disciple
At the risk of opening a can of worms I ask the question. I have acquired an 81 Mercian Olympic,which will be restored. I have the luxury of two wheel sets! Both 27'' Rigida. One clincher set one tubular.
Was hoping for some advice on tyre selection. I want to keep it authentic so amber/gum walls is preference. Obviously durability is a factor as is the esthetics.

Thanks in anticipation

Re: Re:

JSH":1msvzafa said:
are you sure the tubular are 27"?
Sprint rims for tubulars are always the same size as 700c rims so therefore smaller than 'real' 27" ones. If it's an '81 I would hazard a guess that the clinchers are also 700c.

You'll see tubulars listed as 27", 28", sprints, '700c tubulars' and simply 'tubular' when they are in fact referring to exactly the same size tubular tyre. Jolly confusing.

Anyway, something constructive. Continental Giro is a nice classic looking tan wall tubular and the colour ages well. I also like the look of the Challenge Vulcano if you want a wider tubular. Tufo S33 also looks good in tan wall - as much as people love to hate Tufo tubulars, they're perfectly round every time, I think they ride well and they're exceptionally durable.

Re:

Having looked the wheels predate the frame and the CLI Cher's are 27s.

Thanks for the replies guys

Anymore for any more?

Back