Treating rust

daysnways

Dirt Disciple
I might well get this resprayed eventually, but i'm determined to get it built up as is in the time being, and try and patch up the paintwork.

What do i need to do to these areas to get them ready for the paint?

you can imagine the fun they had at the bike shop getting the seat tube and bb out!! :D

cheers all.

CwXnKDAXgAA5Lpw.jpg:large

Re:

You'll probably want to strip away the paint on the lugs by the seat cluster to start with, since there seem
to be a few rust bubbles round there suggesting rust under the paint.

You can scrub off the loose rust with a wire brush (a brass wire brush is probably best).

Then there are several products you can try: oxalic acid is supposed to neutralise rust; naval jelly or rust remover (I think this is actually just oxalic acid suspended in a gel); or rust converter (e.g. Hammerite Kurust).
Most of those should be easy to find in a DIY or car repair shop. I once soaked an entire fork in coca cola to get rid of surface rust on the chrome. Worked OK but I wouldn't want to do it again.

After that you ould try putting primer on the metal before you paint. Again, car shops sell smal retouch paints
including primer. These work quite well. For the actual paint, it might be worth trying nail polish. It dries harder
than retouch paints and there are A LOT of colours. I got a pretty much perfect match with nail polish for one bike I did up.

Cheers,

Johnny

Back