Buckled downtube, safe to cold stretch?

PerB

Old School Hero
Unfortunately i crashed my DBS La Migliore the other day, it resulted in a buckled down tube and the steering head moved backward in the bottom. The front wheel is now sitting about 2-3 cm further back than normal. A local frame repair shop has offered to cold stretch the frame back. He has one of Park tools frame straightener http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vinta ... -note.html

The frame is Columbus SLX tubing from Daccordi

I upload some pictures of the damages here. Is it safe to ride after the repair (if successful)

trying not to sound like a harbinger of doom but my understanding is even if it is cold stretched and straightened the frame itself will still be structually compromised as the tubing will lose some of its rigidity and integrity as a result of the accident, unfortunately not a cheaper option if the frame is near and dear but I'd replace the damaged tubes......

Replace the tubes or bin the frame as you don't want to end up under some vehicle................& leave family behind just for the sake of this..................

I do hope a Norwegian is not going to be swayed from rectifying such minor trauma. Let the nambies whimper, they've been indoctrinated by NWO health and safety doctrine.

You Sir, are made of sterner fabric...

Recall Fridtjof Nansen, Roald Amundsen, and Kirsten Flagstad.

If wrinkles in a tube had halted them, we'd still be waiting for the North West Passage and South Poles to be conquered.

(And to hear Purcell's 'Dido and Aeneas' done right :)

cmjc":13e7ur4e said:
I do hope a Norwegian is not going to be swayed from rectifying such minor trauma. Let the nambies whimper, they've been indoctrinated by NWO health and safety doctrine.

You Sir, are made of sterner fabric...

Recall Fridtjof Nansen, Roald Amundsen, and Kirsten Flagstad.

If wrinkles in a tube had halted them, we'd still be waiting for the North West Passage and South Poles to be conquered.

(And to hear Purcell's 'Dido and Aeneas' done right :)

Quite!

Midlife":j7blj7m8 said:
Are the forks not a bit bent as well?

Shaun

No the fork is straight, I have a NOS spare fork for this frame and I hoped it was a bent fork when I saw the position of the front wheel. When lining up the two forks everything is parallel and straight.

The good thing about the accident is that nobody was hurt, just some minor scratches and blue marks.

We will try out the frame straightener and se how it goes; if it fails OK we have tried. There is another NOS La Migliore frame in right size that might be for sale here in Oslo. But that's a Alan frame labeled DBS La Migliore.

Q/
if it fails OK we have tried.
/Q

Good man, that's the spirit!

It's steel, not plastic like modern junk. One tap and they disintegrate, blown away like ash in a fire-grate.

Those pictures bear testament to the strength and resilience of the proper material to manufacture bicycles from.

Notice how perfectly the brazed lugs took the little incident.

Please post images of your repaired machine over the subsequent years of happy, and safe, conquering of the fjords.

My dad once straightened the bent top and down tubes on my Raleigh equipe after I'd stacked it into the back of a parked Triumph TR7 on Cleethorpes sea front.....he used to run the department that tested the safety and tolerances of all the metals used on a big oil refinery so knew his stuff and suffice to say I didn't subsequently die riding that bike:)
If the owner very of the TR7 happens to be reading this can I say I'm very very sorry

Get it stretched ;) as personally unless your going to be racing it off road on a regular bassis then i can't see why the frame would fail tbh as i use to ride a hi tensile framed bike off or on road and it was just a cheapo bso that was kitted out with cheap basic parts and nobbly tyres and that frame was already damaged like yours when i got it and i sold that off cheap after two years of trouble free riding and no issues ..

Latest posts

Back