Fork crown facing

XLite i Hope

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a pair of 1" steel threaded forks but a std. 25.4mm crown race won't fit (forks are appx 26mm)

Does anyone know where I can get the forks refaced to 25.4mm in the Surrey area??

Thanks

Re:

File it down by hand. I have seen frame builders do that, so it cant be as amateur as it may seem

Is it just paint in the way? On a new frame last year I had to scrape the paint off the crown before the headset would go down.

XLite i Hope":1lc9780s said:
I have a pair of 1" steel threaded forks but a std. 25.4mm crown race won't fit (forks are appx 26mm)
There's no such thing as a 25.4mm crown race. The two common 1" standards are ISO (26.4mm) and JIS (27.0mm).

A good bike shop should have the correct tools, but I don't know Surrey well. Personally I wouldn't take a file to a fork that I valued.

Re:

Cheers for the update on the size!! Has been a couple of weeks since I had the verniers out.

It's not just paint the forks are from an 80s Raleigh and apparently they didn't use the 26.4 std.

I have also made headsets fit and work OK with a file! But want to fit this a bit better.

I have had some blank stares when asking about facing a crown race in shops that should know!!!

Re: Re:

XLite i Hope":2c8j1z3i said:
I have had some blank stares when asking about facing a crown race in shops that should know!!!
thing is these days, its about hand fitting the crown race and dropping cartridge bearings into a machined surface already in the frame. So no need for them to learn about the old ways. As long as you have the correct size, no tools other than allen key needed. Do NVQ cycle mechanics courses even teach old technology to reach the standard?

in the same way someone I know took his cherished Capri to a high tech garage to have the points/distributor checked and the mechanic he spoke to didn't even know what he meant.

By the 80's Raleigh had reverted to the good old British Standard so I'm surprised it's something different.

Shaun

Back