Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:07 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:02 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Just bought this for £150 to use as a road trainer when not on the MTB. The frame number shows it was built in April 1990 as a stock frame for Harry Hall's bike shop in Manchester by their builder in Birmingham. It has a lugged frame painted yellow with chromed forks and rear stays. The Mavic rims are just wearing through their ceramic finish and one is badly scored on one side by a piece of grit trapped in a brake block. I'll post a pic of the bike on here some time.

I had to spend another £70 on a full cable set, bar tape and tyres. It rides really nicely, lively and somehow fresh feeling but the RH Shimano RSX shifter is a bit sluggish. Somebody has given me some Sora shifters so I plan to fit these to see if there's any improvement. It is currently 7 speed but the Soras will do 8 speed. I also find it a bit over-geared especially for climbing as I like to sit and spin. I fitted a Shimano compact Hollowtech crank and BB on my el-cheapo road trainer (now for sale) and was so impressed with the stiffness that I am going to swap this over to the HH and see how it goes with the lower gearing. It's hilly where I live!

I believe this will allow me later to upgrade the wheels and go 8 speed, with a cassette rather than the current screw-in block. This would let me fit a wider range of gears.

The bars are uncomfortable as they drop too much down to the brake hoods so I am looking for something flatter on top like a modern ergo bar. The trouble is the current Cinelli bars are 26.4mm and I don't want to fit black or worse, black with a quill adapter and a chunky black stem! Anybody got any suggestions for a more comfy bar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:30 pm 
Old School Grand Master

3T Morphe Randonneur - they have a shallow drop of around 130mm. Look also at the Deda range - they do several shallow drop options.