Tyre size/clearance advice

Mac_Mwnci

Old School Hero
Hi (it's been a while)

Going to be doing some riding on gravel roads soon and was thinking of fitting wider tyres to my Graham Weigh. Going by the pics below what are my chances of squeezing some 700 x 28s on there?

Currently fitted are Panaracer TG 700 x 25. Looking at either Panaracer Gravel King or Continental GP 4 Season. Any advice at all? Oh, the rims are Mavic CXP 22s by the way.

Cheers!

Panaracers always seem to come up small -so I would try a 28mm. However, 3mm is not very much clearance and you are running the risk even of a bit of gravel jamming the wheel. I've had it happen with a mudguard, and it's not pretty. :shock:

Re:

hamster":19nuwwhz said:
However, 3mm is not very much clearance and you are running the risk even of a bit of gravel jamming the wheel. I've had it happen with a mudguard, and it's not pretty. :shock:

Good point! I've got to balance (he he) the advantages that the wider tyres will give me on gravel with any risks I suppose...

Looks like I'll have to go ahead and purchase them and then maybe them not fitting. (So look out for them on here if they don't! :LOL: ) Before I do, anyone running the Gravel Kings in 28? I know that the GP 4 Season are also well regarded: So which to go for? Does anyone here think that changing up from 25s to 28s might not actually make that much difference? My folding TGs haven't had that much use. By the way, I'll be riding 'normal' roads as well ofcourse.

Re:

I do about 4000 miles a year on gravel and most of that pushing hard. Believe me, tread is the least of your worries. Get a tough tyres with some puncture resistance. Wide is more comfortable. Tread is bound to mean a smaller carcase for the given space. Fill that space with carcase not tread. Gravel tyres don't last long either.

Re:

Good point, thanks. I thought that a wider tyre would stop the bike drifting on deeper /softer gravel? I guess I'll find out when I try it though! Any recommendations then? What tyres do you run?

Re:

I've had a pair of Conti Four Seasons and I have to say I was quite disappointed at their performance as
gravel tyres. The puncture protection seems to hold onto bits of grit and sharp stones that eventually work their way through and puncture the inner tube. The bits of grit can be hard to dig out and then leave a nasty cut in the tyre.

Maybe this is a general problem with tyres with a thick puncture protection layer? Or maybe it's just bad luck that I got the grit stuck in there, but I've certainly not been massively impressed.

I don't think GP4Season are intended as a gravel tyre - more a fast tough tyre for cruddy British roads. Certainly round here where every bit of road wash contains flints they are the only thing that have a chance of surviving...but regularly on gravel? I don't think so.
Gatorskins have a harder compound which is tougher.

Back