Is it so bad to fix?

OldFrank

Retro Guru
I know some purists see the trend for turning old frames into fixies as a bit of a loss, and I have some sympathy, but what is the view of folks in here? Are we a broad church which is tolerant of such things?

Really? :facepalm:

fixie-bike.jpg

Re:

Well.. to be fair, in return the fixie crew would probably be grateful if superannuated roadies would desist from getting perfectly useable 120mm rear ends on nice old frames cold-set to 130/5mm or whatever it is, in order to be able to (not) use twenty twenty-first century gear ratios...

That is a fair point, although I consider it a lesser crime than destroying original paintwork.
I don't like that many of the hot-rods, although it's mainly modern chainsets which have been liberally slapped with the ugly stick that are the worst offenders.

I don't really have too much of a problem with it. Fixed gear is way less hassle day to day if your local riding suits it. I'm not a big fan of cutting off all the fixings though.

Re:

A clown on a bike would make me laugh,I suppose though seeing someone ride that with a cap on and trouser rolled up would do as well.

Back