Smaller shimano cassette tool

OldFrank

Retro Guru
I have an old wheel with old style shimano gears, looks like a cassette which sits on a ratchet type hub. It's a budget to get that ratchet thing off! It looks like it needs a shimano type cassette tool button fact those are just a touch big. What should be using or do they actually not come off?

Might be worth a) posting a photo so we can see what it is, there may be some text on the free wheel to identify it.
or b) going to a good bike shop and giving them the wheel. A good bike shop will probably have a tray of assorted freewheel removers to try, rather than guessing and buying the wrong one.

If it's uniglide then to take the freehub off you need to take the axle out and use a 10mm allen key on the bolt that holds the splined freehub part to the main hub body.

Don't get you, some (blurry) pics below

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 464
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 464
that definitely doesn't look like uniglide. Looks like a standard freewheel ratchet without the sprockets.

Yeah, the sprockets came of easily! It seems to match the uniglide cassette stuff on you tube. And the uniglide tool fits perfectly. However, it is still stuck like a stuck thing!

Re:

its a uniglide freewheel. I had one on my late 70s viscount.
OP is correct, its a smaller splined shimano tool to get it off. You have to remove the threaded locknut & washers to get the tool in, which he has already done if im seeing the picture properly

If youre not wanting to save it, put the freewheel part that's left (ie what is showing) in a vice and unscrew. It will need lots of vice grip, which will probably destroy some of the delicate pawl housings

Back