Carlton Bike from the 70's ? Looking for some informations !

Peuf

Dirt Disciple
Hello all,

This is my last bike, a red Carlton in a poorly condition, but it's a nice bike and the parts are quite interesting.

I don't know anything about this bike, I have more knowledge on french bikes than the english ones and this Calrton is a mystery for me. All the transfers are washed out or gone, also I am pretty sure that the yellow transfers are just some adhesive tape. I really hope you can help me on this bike.

2016-027.jpg

2016-039.jpg

2016-035.jpg

It is equipped with Weinmann Vainqueurs Brakes 5610 and 750), the brake levers are probably AG Vainqueur 999 with the brake housing using the Carlton logo. The stem is a GB Neta.

2016-029.jpg

2016-031.jpg

2016-028.jpg

2016-036.jpg

2016-037.jpg

Rear derailleur is a Simplex, couldn't find the model, it really looks like the Simplex LJ4000CP but no the back is in plastic and not metal, also no marking on the pivots. The front shifter is a Huret Allvit luxe if I am not mistaking.

2016-030.jpg

2016-033.jpg

The saddle is a New Style, no idea of this brand, I may change it.

2016-032.jpg

Wheels are in bad shape with a lot of broken spokes.

No infos on the crankset, pedals are 501 Made in England, couldn't find more info on those.

2016-034.jpg

And finally a serial number on the saddle tube: NB5203117

2016-038.jpg

I started stripping the bike down, will post more updates on this post.

Thanks for your help !
Cheers,

1975 Carlton, if that's an N first in the number then made in the Nottingham Raleigh factory. Crespera lugs and full seat stay wraparound frame made of Tru-Well tubing which was the base for a number of Carlton models.

Is there any chrome hiding under the paint?

Spokessman is our resident Carlton aficionado:)

Shaun

Oooops, just spotted the chrome on the forks, first stab in the dark would be a Carlton Corsa.......

Shaun

Hello Midlife,

Thanks for your infos !
How do you know it's from 1975 ?

Yes there is chrome on the front fork (not that much though).

I will weight the frame, maybe could help.

What about the transfers ? They looks really simple, Carlton in black sans serif typography apparently.

Third letter of the number is a 5 for 1975, the B before the 5 is the code for February so February 1975 made in Nottingham.

The frame will be Tru-Well tubing so not super light but still lightweight.

Back in 1975 Carlton decals looked like this bike

$_86.JPG

Shaun

The Carlton Continental / Criterium also used the same frame if memory serves, the Continental didn't have chrome though......... Criterium picture with thanks to Spokessman

p7300747.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Shaun

Thanks a lot for these precisions !

So yes apparently I have a Carlton Corsa, will buy some transfers online probably,
Also have more infos on the wheels :
Front has no brand rim with a sturmey archer hub
Back one has a atom 48 hub with Rigida Chrolux rim, Normandy freewheel.

The saddle is a Bassano also.

Weighted the frame it says 2.6kg (but I used a bathroom scale so not accurate, that give an idea though).
Dunno those tru-well tubing is it good ? Compared to the well known reynolds ?

Cheers

Here's me racing on the same frame you have in the early to mid 70's. Tru-Well was heavier than Reynolds but light for a mass produced frame. I don't recall the colour of your frame so may well have been resprayed.

2uq0kd4.jpg

Shaun

Cool picture !
The paint looks a bit dull yes, I am thinking of doing a repaint but that's quite hard and time consuming job !
Still don't really know if it's a corsa or criterium, gonna ask this spokesman !

Interesting, looks like it could be a Corsa from around Feb 1975, the frame number should have a W prefix, N was used by Raleigh (Nottingham). Could well be a Raleigh model of that time, but the wrap over seat stays and the badge say Carlton. Of course it could be a Criterium too as above. If the black hoods are original then its most probably the Corsa model.

Back