Dura Ace 9 Speed Blues

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am using a DA 9 speed set up on my old TVT and the gear shift
into the smaller cogs has always been really hesitant. It works fine on the the work stand but on the road it rattles and doesn't go into the 14t and 12t cleanly at all. I have messed about with the cable tension no end and the outer casing into the rear mech to no avail either. When the cable is detached, the mech won't even reach the 12t cleanly and that's with the limit screw adjusted right out.

I'm using a 7703 chainset, BB, DA 7700-9S downtube shifters and DA 9 speed titanium cassette. The rear mech says DA 7700 and that's apparently the 9 speed mech for the job. Everything is in NOS/ VGC so wear isn't an issue here.

Any ideas chaps because I am stumped!! :|

Many thanks.

Craig

Re:

Hi Craig,

Sounds like you need to move the hub across the axle, is it a cup and cone jobbie? If so, I think that idea would work.

Mike

7703 is a triple chainset is it not?
It will run two rings OK but the spacing of them compared to the double could explain some of the hesitance of shifting into the small cogs at the rear.
Maybe, its just a thought.
** edit**
It wouldn't explain it not wanting to move across the range fully uncabled. Its either move the hub as suggested or try another mech. Is it a short cage mech?
I have a mech here not being used if you want me to send it on Monday to try for comparison.

Jamie

Hi Craig
Is this happening in the small chain ring only if so try making the chain a little longer. If you can't make it longer you would probably need the RD7700 GS which is a long cage version

Is the rear gear hanger bent? Ie have you checked it with an alignment tool??
Thats one reason for the mec not reaching the 12 sprocket.

Re:

Fiddle with the B adjuster screw to put the mech jockey wheels closer or further to the cogs. It may make things respond better
Just an idea

Stringfellow has a good point, it would only take the mech hanger to be slightly bent for it to not engage properly.
I realigned my Mercian this week using a cyclo tool aligner and once the gauge is set to align with the rim, its easy to see how far out it can be. Its also crazy how little effort it takes to manipulate/bend it from all angles to re align.

Jamie

Back