Keith coppell ....help needed

Patgas

Dirt Disciple
Looking for info please ...Keith coppell with 531 frame,golden arrow groupset,Sr. stem,Sr sakae custom bars,weinmann levers and center pull brakes,mallard wheels,sun tour power shifters,shimano of 1050 pedals,selle italia atomic saddle ...age ....any value
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 649
Re:

Golden Arrow and brakes say early 1980's.

Value as it stands, £250 to £350, maybe a little more if someone really wants it.

I'm a Keith Coppell fan, my No1 do it all bike is a Coppell from the late 80's. The man really knew how to build a frame.

Re:

That's interesting .....so would you say the parts are from original build,would you restore it or leave it ?
I purchased it to turn in to a single speed track type path bike but that would be sacralidge wouldn't it.
Not sure if I should sell it and buy a track frame or keep it,I know they are pretty rare and never see them for sale that's why I purchased it.
Was it built as a touring bike or race ?

Re:

I'm not really and expert on retro road bikes, but a lot about the bike says original and touring or rather, all purpose, as it appears to have a lamp mount on the right hand fork leg, as well as mudguard and rack mounting lugs.

My frame is a racing frame, I can tell that mostly from the way it handles, I recently overtook two motorcycles while riding down the Cheddar Gorge, I went around the outside of them. :mrgreen:

I see no reason not to convert it to single speed, as long as you don't cut mounts and fittings off the frame. It may not have the best geometry for the track, but for general whizzing about I think it would be fine.

Yes Keith's frames are rare, I have no idea how many he made. His daughter is a member of the forum and makes very occasional visits, although not for quite some time. She may have her dad's build records and so be able to tell us how many frames were made, and under which names they were sold.

Here's mine: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... it=coppell

Re:

Yours is cool
I may just restore the frame and convert in to a single,I won't be using it for track just razzing about in the summer,and keep original parts.
I did try and contact his daughter but no reply yet.
Can you buy graphics ? I did hear his daughter mention she had some.
Cheers Patrick
Could be pretty cool

Re:

Thanks.

I'd try to keep as much of the original patina as possible, you need to look at some of Spokesman's restorations to see just what a bit of careful cleaning and polishing will achieve.

I think it would be a great bike for razzing, as 531 gives a lovely ride, that is why I bought mine in the first place, as I was looking for a hand made 531 frame and the Coppell was the first I found in my size.

I think Paula does have decal's, but other than PM, I really don't know how to contact her. I looked on H Lloyd's web site, but they don't have Coppell. The only other choice would be to get someone like Gil_M to make some for you. http://www.thecycleshed.co.uk/frontdoor.html

Could be very cool.

Re:

I think the frame is too new looking if you know what I mean to do that,my original plan was a rusty/patina frame waxed with shiny parts on and leather saddle and tape real old school ha ha then this came up .The frame is too fresh looking for that if that makes sense.
I will have to think

Re:

Ahhh yes, proper rat bike look... nice.

You'd need a 1990's Raleigh or Dawes or Claud Butler or other welded steel production bikes for that, and even then you'll probably still offend someone. :mrgreen:

I'd strip the Coppell back to basics, fit Sugino or similar SS cranks and get going. Although you may have to fit a SS back wheel, unless you can get the chainline right.

We are now reaching the outer limits of my SS knowledge, I leave that sort of nonsense to my (stronger / younger) kids, both of whom ride SS from time to time.

Re:

Should I paint it up mint ?
Another question ...why do I only have kc and coppel cycles on it ? And not Kieth coppell mmmm

Singlespeed would be cool. You'll need a screw on bmx type freewheel, but thats about it. Don't paint it its an unnecessary expense.

First thing to do is to stick the BMX freewheel on to see if you can get the chainline right with the cranks as they are.

Also it might not be a KC it could be just a bike he sold at his shop.

Latest posts

Back