Early 80's Thompson 531 - full campagnolo - worth?

ktuludays

Old School Hero
hi guys

was at a customers today to quote for some work and noticed this in the corner of his garage. he was happy for me to look it over and he told me it was 35 years old and purchased from a shop on Abbey Dale road in Sheffield. he said he would sell it to me if i was interested and that it cost him £500. i did say that that was 35 years ago!

i've no idea what it would be worth but my initial thoughts given the condition was around the £125 mark. he scoffed at that!!

it is reynolds 531, frame and forks, with full campag groupset. not sure if the rear mech is indexed but they are pretty grotty.

only managed to get a few pictures.
i would appreciate your input on a rough value.
thanks

Rob

IMG_20160827_090739103.jpg

IMG_20160827_090849088.jpg

IMG_20160827_090851995.jpg

Re:

A brief Googling suggest that Thompson is a Belgian manufacturer and not one that I have had any experience with. The derailleurs look as if they are Campagnolo 980 which was their entry level group in the early '80s so I would assume that this wouldn't be one of their prestige models.

Re:

Andy Thompson looks more realistic.

Still no suggestions on a value though. Would it hold value if a custom build?

The decals are definitely Andy's from his days in Huddersfield. The fittings aren't top of the range Campag though. 980 rear mech?

It's an Orbit built in the Peartree Lane factory in Dudley in the mid 80's. The Thompson name was used on the more race orientated models. Old Ned is spot on the dacals were produced from Thompson Bicycle Company days in Huddersfield. The budget Campag groupset was never up to much but the frame will be of reasonable quality.

Being realistic all Orbit bikes were produced down to a price and it's not an episode in my career I'm particularly proud of.

Back