SLR / STi levers with cantis or v brake?

Pionir

Retro Guru
Quick question : I understand the pull rates of v-brakes are different so they don't really work with drop bar levers. Is there anything that can fit canti studs that works with regular Shimano levers?

I've seen mention of mini v-brakes (such as the Tektro 926AL) but I've also seen other bikes on the road with STi levers using cantilevers.

Has anyone tried this and is it possible? (I'm discounting travel agents as by all accounts they aren't very satisfactory). Or are the other options just bad but people don't realise how bad so carry on anyway?

Note, please don't recommend different brake levers!

Mini-Vs will work with the shorter cable pull, however you may encounter clearance problems with larger CX tyres.

Cantis all work as LGF says, however the low-profile type (1992-1995 MTB sort) work worst as they really need a little more cable pull. So best are the wide profile type.

Cheers. Another question just occurred, are the canti bosses at the same distance from the axle on Xc forks as they are on mtb forks (26") or are they placed relative to the rim? I'm intending to use an old MTB fork - the outer diameter of 700c isn't far off 26 x 2.25 so I'm hoping it will just about fit.

some forks are spaced very wide, some narrow.

A lot of older canti era forks can spaced a bit too wide for v-brakes

then theres rim width, super narrow on an old wide spaced fork can be fun but usually with adjustment, its not a problem I come across very often

Pionir":1a1p4wxh said:
Cheers. Another question just occurred, are the canti bosses at the same distance from the axle on Xc forks as they are on mtb forks (26") or are they placed relative to the rim? I'm intending to use an old MTB fork - the outer diameter of 700c isn't far off 26 x 2.25 so I'm hoping it will just about fit.

Canti stud placement is relative to rim diameter. Some frames and forks have canti stud placement higher which are specific to U brakes or roller cam brakes.

Note that arm length can vary between mini-v; Tektro RX5 being the longest AFAIK.

So am I right in thinking if my bosses are for a 26" mtb wheel, a standard canti or the mini v-brake won't actually reach the rim and I'll need a v-brake with a large range of adjustment to reach the rim (such as a Paul moto bmx levers)?

Re:

Yup....but v's don't work with STIs.

Mavic did a 26" to 700c adapter; looks a bit like a brake booster.

Another thing that MIGHT work is road long reach side pull calipers.

Or go disk....or CX frame if you really want 700c.

But v's with the pad moved up to meet the rim should work from what I've read as it increases the pull.

I've been looking at some bmx sites which have little brackets to move the canti studs up (presumably next an xc position) so I might try those and the mini-v

Pionir":1x1xxwdv said:
But v's with the pad moved up to meet the rim should work from what I've read as it increases the pull.

That's a good point as it will change the leverage and you will get more pad travel per mm of cable pulled. Moving the pad up the arm is the same as shortening the arm (like mini-V) in terms of leverage. Of course it depends on how much adjustment you need to make - should be around 30mm upwards, which is only possible on a few types.

In the end it's now suck it and see...if it's all terribly mushy then avoid.

Back