Graham bufton bike?

whiskers

Dirt Disciple
OK, this might drag on...

I've been offered what is little more than a frame and parts. From someone who knows little about the actual bike.
It has campag parts, 4 old tub wheels with large flange hubs and a box of what appears to be nuts and bolts!
I cant see any frame stickers apart from a GB sticker on the head tube.
The guy said it was a local bike builders bike- a Graham Bolton, I can only assume as I'm in Telford he means Bufton. As Graham Bufton was indeed a local cycling legend.
Is it worth restoring? He wants strong decent money for it I think, is there anyway of verifying it's a genuine bike.
Apart from campag stamped into the dropouts i can't see any other marks apart from some unclear numbers on the bottom bracket.

Many thanks for any help

Re:

I havent got any im afraid..
It was just mentioned in passing that he had the bike, i went to his unit and looked at it, but never took any photos.
It wasn't until after i thought about Bufton, as opposed to Bolton!

Sorry.

Re:

Graham Bufton was a champion cyclist who was tragically knocked off his bike and killed in 2003.
A friend of mine serviced/brought back to life a Graham Bufton bike last year, on behalf of a Telford scrap metal dealer. I don't imagine that GB built many bikes so that makes it interesting. Campag dropouts indicate that the frame features are good quality. If the BB is slotted then that is also a high quality cast item. Check the frame for rust/cracks and the hub flanges for cracks. If the price is right and you can see the possibilities then go for it!

Large flange hubs were dropping out of fashion by the 80's so it might be older than you think.....

Shaun

Re: Re:

Ippikin":3hj1li4a said:
Graham Bufton was a champion cyclist who was tragically knocked off his bike and killed in 2003.
A friend of mine serviced/brought back to life a Graham Bufton bike last year, on behalf of a Telford scrap metal dealer. I don't imagine that GB built many bikes so that makes it interesting. Campag dropouts indicate that the frame features are good quality. If the BB is slotted then that is also a high quality cast item. Check the frame for rust/cracks and the hub flanges for cracks. If the price is right and you can see the possibilities then go for it!

Do you rember the colour of the bike?
He did say he had another that he gave to his brother inlaw who had it sprayed and built up.
This one sat sat on the roof of his office. He doesnt want it, but seems to appreciate its something special!
The only other thing that struck me as odd was the rear brake bridge, it was a nice arch rather than the usual straight bridge. Cant seem to fine another one. Or any pics of Grahams bikes!

Re:

Just spoken with my friend. He confirms that there were 2 frames and lots of parts. The bike he restored was purple, the only pictures I have are of the decals which he considered replacing (and thankfully chose not to!). He thinks the frame you are referring to is grey in colour with Campag Record bits & assorted wheels. Both frames/components are strongly suspected to have been Graham's personal bikes. My friend knew Graham and gave me more detail: GB owned a bike shop in Dawley High Street which kept being broken into by the usual low-lifes; he gave up on that because he could not obtain premises insurance due to the break-ins, and moved to a unit at Little Dawley, where he worked on bikes, and allowed local cyclists to use the upper floor space to use to repair/fettle their own bikes. Graham was a superb wheel builder and business came his way because of this. My friend fondly remembers Graham Bufton as a brilliant mechanic and super-strong whippet like cyclist.

Attachments

• 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,088
It sounds like we're talking the same bike!

My friend sprayed it, apparently it's a ford capri colour, bright purple!

So there's some definite provenance to the frame, and it would appear it 's of a decent quality.

Maybe I'll go back and look again!
It was only later I Graham Bufton as the man be was talking about. And although I know the shop ( knew) and knew his astounding cycling pedigree, I never thought of him as a frame builder.
This is a hobby for me, not a buy a bike and flip it for a profit-and road bikes are a relatively new things to me too!
But I don't want to pay good money for something that's not quality.
You obviously know where the bike is, I'll see if I can do a deal.

Do you think you could put a price on it?

whiskers":jxchrb0a said:
It sounds like we're talking the same bike!

My friend sprayed it, apparently it's a ford capri colour, bright purple!

So there's some definite provenance to the frame, and it would appear it 's of a decent quality.

Maybe I'll go back and look again!
It was only later I Graham Bufton as the man be was talking about. And although I know the shop ( knew) and knew his astounding cycling pedigree, I never thought of him as a frame builder.
This is a hobby for me, not a buy a bike and flip it for a profit-and road bikes are a relatively new things to me too!
But I don't want to pay good money for something that's not quality.
You obviously know where the bike is, I'll see if I can do a deal.

Do you think you could put a price on it?

No doubt about that! I have only seen the purple bike and that was a good 2-years ago when my friend worked on it. Frame prices are really hard to determine, a fair 531 road race frame-set might start at £70 or so. Campag Record bits are sought after but as ever condition is everything. Sounds like you are not up against any other buyers. I assume you are the right size for the frame as well! Why not post up a picture of what is being offered and ask on the site? Don't worry - my friend has no internet and I have no idea of either the name or location of this dealer in Telford :)

Well i went back and had second look, the bikes a little rougher than i thought, some damage to the rear drive side dropout, but nothing that cant be fixed....
Depending how good the frame appears to be, will dictate how its done!
Some of the parts, seatpost, brake levers, outer chainring, pedals, saddle and a few little pieces may be unsalvagable also 2 of the wheels don't have campag hubs.

But on the basis of some nice parts(with a lot of work) a pair of hubs and qr's and possibly a nice frame, i think the price was good.
Any other ideas on what the frame could be? or custom made?
Any any suggestions on the best route for resto will be greatly received!

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/alfabear/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160819_190807_zpsipl2ajec.jpg.html]

Back