Gunk 'green' cleaner degreaser

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
Used this Halfords product to soak a Campag record crankset I bought off eBay to remove grease, left it for a bit, when I came back the metal had turned black and blotchy, removed quite a bit of anodising and took ages to polish out the 'staining'...any metallurgists out there?

...I'm not a big fan of stripping off anodising, it may be bright but looks too bling and not to my liking :(
re-anodise?

Sorry to hear that. What does it say on the can? must be a warning about aluminium/anodizing if not get on to the manufacturer and ask what they are going to do about it. Just had a look at the data sheet which does not have a warning on nor does the Halfords information.

Gunk Green Engine Degreaser

The Gunk Green Multi Purpose Engine Degreaser & Cleaner features a bio-degradable formula & is safe to use without losing any of the cleaning power. It is effective in removing grease, grime & stains from a wide range of applications.
Gunk Green Engine Degreaser Extra Info

Powerful degreaser & cleaner
Bio-degradable & safe to use
1 Litre

There's also a Gunk driveway cleaner, it may be that? This one is engine degreaser, Sodium Hydroxide mainly...supposed to be 'biodegradable' ... hence the 'green' status...hmmm

Back