Misaligned Steel Frame: Refund or Replace?

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

Short question: Am I within my rights to insist on a refund for a new but faulty bike frameset (even if I've already cut down the fork steerer and done some other installation work)?

All the miserable details: I bought a new steel cyclocross frame from a shop in Germany, ordering via internet.

I started setting up the frame, including cutting the fork steerer tube. However, when it came to installing the rear wheel I noticed it was way off-centre. I measured the frame alignment (using Sheldon Brown's 'string' method) and found the seat tube was also about 6mm off-centre. I suppose I should've checked the alignment first but I've never ever had this problem before, neither with new or used kit.

I contacted the shop by email and also cc'd the manufacturer. The manufacturer was quite good: they wrote back quickly and said to send the frame to them, and they will replace it if necessary. The shop has not responded to any mails (maybe they are waiting to have confirmation from the mfg, or maybe they just don't give a sh*t).

However, I am wondering if I'm within my rights to insist on a refund from the shop? Especially since I've already worked on the frame and it's no longer in as new condition. Does that matter if the frame is clearly faulty?
Could I at least get a partial refund for the frame if not for the whole frameset?

I'm not optimistic about dealing with the shop since they've been a bit ropey throughout the whole process of buying this frame, but I would prefer to get my money back on this one if I can.

Cheers for reading and for any help you can offer.

Johnny

If I was in your position I would attempt a frame replacement if under warranty. I think the
basis of a full refund is normally based on the premise that it can be re-sold (original packing, intact etc.).

Probably best not to mention the fork - presumably that is ok and you could justify there
would be no reason to replace it and pay for return shipping etc.

If all that works, you could re-sell it off to at least get some cash back in the pocket.

Thanks.

I think the manuf. is willing to replace the frame. I already told them about the fork so not able to follow your advice there :). They were good about that too, they said they'd only send the original back anyway if it was not faulty.

I'm only slightly worried that they might start messing about with the measurement of the misalignment. I've heard of other frame makers pulling that kind of stuff ( but not this particular one).

TBH a refund would be a better outcome but I'm not sure what my position would be if I wanted to insist on it. I don't think the frame could be resold in this case since it is faulty. Correcting the misalignment (i.e. cold setting) might be possible but it would be dishonest if they did it. I wonder can they insist that a faulty item has to be returned in otherwise as new condition?

OK, see where you are coming from a bit more now. Sounds like the manufactuer is keen to sort it out which
is already positive.

Thing is, cold setting steel frames is pretty "normal" to get alignment. What you could do is note the serial number
before you post it off, and insist a new replacement that has been properly QCed as you are most annoyed
and expected better.....blah blah.

The other thing is that manufacturers also reserve the right to "repair or replace" at their discretion.

Don't see the point of packing and paying for shipping forks back and forth; say you are worried about
the carbon footprint of the build ! :p

Otherwise, if you are feeling lucky ask for a full refund. If you don't ask you don't get - ask for a lot but also
be happy with little. ;)

Take photos, get it to LBS and take a pic of the rear dropouts with alignment tool fitted and other frame measurements that can be substantiated by the LBS ( expert validation...)
Easy to mark frame with a UV pen to make sure you actually get a new frame...

Back