Raleigh Roadace BB/Shell Types

dwscrimshaw

Retro Guru
Having got this old frame back on the road I am currently putting back the original 600 Group set etc.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=328339

Having done some research on this I see this version was only in production for 88 and 89 then stopped altogether. There are some differences between the two years in terms of decals, gearing and other equipment, but the one thing I am puzzled by is the difference in BB arrangement detailed below. Is it possible that they were using up old stock at the end of the model run, if so why drop the small stay for the Cinclli BB in 89 only? there is not too many picture around of each type 2 or 3 for each, but enough to look consistent.

Any toughts?

Pre 88 BB shell was quite plain and had a small stay behind it.
viewtopic.php?t=194697
http://raleigh-action-bikes.proboards.c ... oad-ace-12

88 BB Had more pointed lugs, like the Cinelli, and stay
viewtopic.php?t=205148&start=15

89 Cinelli BB Cinelli BB & no Stay Pic from my frame, ebay add is another example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172262197116?rmvSB=true

89 Pre 88 Type BB & Stay (Posts gone now, but i have a copy of the picture)

I have also attached a summary of other 88/89 differences and bit of history on the bike.

Attachments

• Pre 88.JPG
    Pre 88.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 584
  • 88.JPG
    88.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 584
  • 89.JPG
    89.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 584
  • Cinelli.JPG
    Cinelli.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 584
  • 89 Pre 88 Type.JPG
    89 Pre 88 Type.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 584
  • 1989 Roadace.JPG
    1989 Roadace.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 584
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Interesting, The frames I've noticed without the chainstay bridge have tended to be 653, I have a 89 531c with bridge and the plain BB, you often get these little mysteries with Raleigh.

Ok, that's interesting, any way of telling the difference in tubing other than the lack os stay? I had assumed all would be 531, the frame I have is quite light

Had another look at these frames also spotted a difference in the head lugs. Rounded on all the 88's. Pointed on the 89's with plan BB and stay, but rounded again on the without stay 89's.

Confused! if it wasn't so consistent I would say it just mix of lugging. What would your frame have?

88 and no stay 89 rounded lugs

89 with stay pointed lugs

Attachments

• Rounded Corner.JPG
    Rounded Corner.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 541
  • Sharp corner.JPG
    Sharp corner.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 541
Had a look at the 653 tubing. Seems to be combination of the lightest 531 main tubes and 753 stays. Looks like a continuation of the 531 Pro/SL tubing. I have seen weight of these frames given as around 1.8Kg for 531C and 1.7Kg for the 653. Not sure on frame size but my 56cm frame is up at 1.825Kg painted and with badges. By comparison I have a Columbus KL frame at 1.65Kg and a 1958 Holdsworth 531 at 1.94Kg both around 56cm.

I am taking the view my frame is too heavy to be full 653 and even if it was it is built from the lightweight end of the 531 tubing anyway. May be not unreasonable for Raleigh to pass this off as 531c. I guess it is what it is and is inline with other Raodaces out there

Anyone got any further thoughts on this?

653 was always a combo tubeset. 753 is heat-treated 531. They used 753 gauged 531 tubing without the heat treatment.

If you really want to get into it you can measure all the tubing and compare it to information available from Reynolds, the lugs obviously are different, you also have to look at the off the peg frames and compare those, the 531c luxe came with cinelli BB.

Thanks, I've not heard of the 531c Deluxe. As i have no way of measuring the tubes accurately enough I'll go with that as an option. Don't think there is any real doubt about what bike it is, just interested in the differences. I guess its not that usual at the end of a otherwise consistent production run.

All the options are based on 531 anyway, but with the weight up at 1.8Kg I am still in favor of 531c.

Just want to get back on the road with it again!

That really should have been Luxe, now i can find some info. The BB does look exactly the same so does the other lugs on the frame. Still has the stay behind the BB on most pics I have seen. Who knows! interesting though.

Zooming in on the pictures of the Roadace in the 1989 Raleigh Catalog is quite reveling, could be getting bit obsessed here. Cinelli BB, no stay and rounded head lugs, very much like the Luxe frame they show. Unfortunately the 88 cat, is not so helpful.

Attachments

• 89 Catalog Roadace BB.JPG
    89 Catalog Roadace BB.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 502
  • 89 Catalog Roadace Head Lug.JPG
    89 Catalog Roadace Head Lug.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 502
  • 351c Luxe Frame.JPG
    351c Luxe Frame.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 502

Latest posts

Back