7 speed freewheel on a 126mm hub

fleshtuxedo

Retro Guru
I knew this back in the day, but I've long forgotten....

I'm looking for a freewheel to go on a Campag Chorus 126mm BSA threaded hub, can I get any 7 speed freewheel for this, or am I limited in any way (ie to a 6)? Particularly looking at a Regina or Sachs 7 speed.

Thanks for any help
FT

Re:

Suntour would fit, I have some 7speed in 126mm spaced rear ends.
It's all very narrow though, 9 speed chains are needed
Richie

There's plenty of space on my 6 speed to squeeze in another gear. Depending on the dropouts/stays it might need to be a small gear i.e. 12 or 13 teeth or the chain might just rub the ends of the stays

Re:

There are 2 types of 7-speed freewheel.

Some have the same spacing as a standard 6-speed and need 130 spaced hubs. Others have the same spacing as compact/ultra 6 and Campagnolo 8-speed, and can go on some 126 spaced hubs depending on the dish of the wheel.

I have a 126 mm C-Record hub with a Regina America 92 7-speed block and it's fine.

I also have a Sachs Maillard LY92 freewheel with 7-speeds and that also works fine.

The cog spacing is 5 mm and the total width of the block is 34.75 mm.

I have an older Record hub with 126 spacing and it won't take the 7-speed freewheels as it's not got as much dish on the wheel.

I think with an out of the box Chorus 126 hub you should be fine with compact 7-speed.

Re: Re:

cromoman":chrirdj8 said:
Some have the same spacing as a standard 6-speed and need 130 spaced hubs.
never heard of this type (not saying you're wrong, just never come across it). I've only ever known the standard 5mm pitch 7 speed.

You can always 'move' the hub over by respacing the axle to create the extra few mm required. You'll need to redish the wheel to suit

Back