C-Record rear derailleur fitting advice

964Cup

Dirt Disciple
I have an allegedly NOS 1987 C-Record RD to fit to my Record Carbonio project. The problem is that either the hanger bolt is too long or I'm missing some parts. As far as I can tell, the C-Record hanger mount is not a sprung pivot (I can't see where or how a spring would fit); all I have is a mounting bolt. Should there be a washer with a locating tab, for instance, or a circlip securing the bolt into the RD? If so, does anyone have an exploded parts diagram or a part number? If I just bolt the RD to the hanger it stays loose because the shoulder of the bolt emerges past the face of the RD.

Re: Re:

bigfatron":3hw69jsi said:
I'm not so sure that the spring washer is the problem, part 3, the grub screw, keeps the mech in place.
Not sure I understand what you're saying. I will add that I used the bearing seals from a couple of Novatec front wheel bearings to make up a temporary washer which seems to work, so I'm pretty sure I need the actual washer. The grub screw is surely a B-screw angle adjuster?

Sorry, part 2 is what I meant.
Once you screw the mech in that keeps it in place.
The sprung washers merely adjust the gap

Re:

Sure, but the gap is the problem; it's about a mill and a half and leaves the RD able to flap about. Surely this will (a) affect shift quality (especially since I'm theoretically going to try to get syncro working...ha!) and (b) cause wear to the mounting face and the hanger?

With the bearing seals I've jury-rigged as a washer the RD is a snug fit. I'm assuming it's not meant to rotate at all on the hanger bolt since there's no spring, or back plate, or any of that in this model, and as you say the grub screw effectively locks it against anti-clockwise rotation while chain tension would prevent clockwise rotation.

Back