HELP Removing Campagnolo Regina Extra 5 Speed Freewheel

jgmu97

Dirt Disciple
Hello everyone,

The original Campagnolo Freewheel on my 1973 Falcon Black Diamond has finally given up the ghost. I had the bike in the work stand, and whilst pedaling forward is fine, freewheeling is very limited, and instead the cranks continue to spin like a fixie!

Now, i've done some research online, but i'm struggling to find any information. The freewheel is a 5 speed Campagnolo Regina Extra model, and it looks like it needs a 2 notch prong to remove it. I've found my existing freewheel tool, and it does not fit, so i'm in need of buying a new one or trying a ghetto method

Can any of you wise guys on here help me out? I'm heading into Halfords tomorrow to get some innertubes, and i see they stock a 2 prong Suntour tool, so i'm wondering if this will work on my freewheel or if its a different sizing? I've looked on eBay, and original Campag tools are selling for more than the bike is worth so that is a no go!

IMG_5446_zps4xqffuvq.jpg

IMG_5448_zpsytkabbcj.jpg

IMG_5449_zpsvgya8b8a.jpg

So, as you can see, its 2 prong, spaced about 21mm apart and the notches are 6mm in width..

Hopefully someone here can help!

Thanks

Have you got a vice? If so then tap out the bearing ring (left hand thread). Remove the bit that rotates leaving the body on the hub. Upside down on a vice and rotate the wheel anticlockwise to remove.

Trashes the freewheel though, have you tried flushing it out with oil to release any stuck pawls

Shaun

Your LBS can generally whip it off for less than buying a Regina remover (not Campagnolo)

Shaun

Thanks for that help mate, I just assumed it was Campag as that was what the rest of the drivetrain was...

I will try your ghetto method first, i like doing the stuff myself. Decided i'd install the headset cups instead of taking it to the LBS and it was very satisfying when i done them right, so i'll have a crack at whipping this freewheel off. Failing that, i'll pop down into my LBS

Cheers!

In terms of replacement, i think i'm going to try a single speed freewheel. The original 5 speed Campag gears work okay, however i've never had the confidence to properly stamp down on the pedals incase they slip. I feel like if i go for a single speed set up, it will not only be more reliable, but i'll be more comfortable riding the bike. I've been reading about different threads on the hub. I've got no idea what the hub is, but the freewheel says made in Italy. Should i just buy a cheapo SS freewheel online and see how it goes?

Thanks again!

The freewheel is Italian but has English threads. If there's nothing broken with the rest of the drivetrain just buy a new freewheel and chain and keep the gears. I've seen the Staffordshire Engine stamp down on the pedals without I'll effect :)

Shaun

Chain was fresh with the restoration, so has probably only done about 150 miles... I doubt it would have work too much?

I'll get a new freewheel and then re-adjust all the gears. It was nice having them in comparison to my old SS/FG, but i never felt as fast on this bike... I'll see how i'm feeling

Thanks for your help Shaun

We're you using a new chain with an old freewheel?

Mixing and matching old and new with the 5 speed kit of old sometimes never worked well and could skip under load. We generally replaced the "block and chain" at the same time.

Shaun

Yes thats correct, the freewheel still looked in good nick and the original owner said he'd barely used the bike so i just replaced the chain at the time, but you're probably right with that being the reason for the skipping/slipping when putting the power down. I did cut corners on this build, in comparison to my current MTB builds, where everything has to be perfect

I think i'll be alright if i just replace the freewheel this time round. I doubt with the very little use, any damage would have been done to the chain, but if the gears are still slipping, i'll replace that as well

Thanks again

Sunrace do some god but cheap freewheels, they should do they bough Sturmey Archers tooling and took it over to China LOL

Shaun

Back