Cycles Gerard

heymarge

Claud Butler Fan
Hi,

I picked this beauty up from ebay a while back and just starting to have a look at sorting it out now! It's too small for me but just right for the wife so she will be using it as her first road bike having ridden (and still riding) mountain bikes. The tyres and tubes were shot so I replace them and it rides really nicely!

It's got 'Cycles Gerard' decals on it, which are cut vinyl, and a rather nice paint job which is a metallic pink fade at the front with gold and silver stars! There is also quite a lot of rust, which is unsightly but not structural (I think/hope).

There is a varied mix of components on it, mismatched Rigida rims, one shimano tricolor hub, shimano front much, suntour cranks (I think) with pink painted accents, suntour shifters, shimano front mech, simplex rear, ITM bars tange forks and weinmann brakes! The bike itself feels light but dont have a similar sized/specced bike to compare it with, the seatpost is 26.8.

The frame has a serial number of B0146NR10 stamped under the bottom bracket, and has Simplex dropouts.

Soooo, does anyone know anything about Cycles Gerard, or what this bike is/was? I've googled it but can't find anything. It is a nice bike which I will keep and tidy up, but it would be nice to know a bit more about it.

What do you think???

heymarge":2axcpouk said:
Hi,

I picked this beauty up from ebay a while back and just starting to have a look at sorting it out now! It's too small for me but just right for the wife so she will be using it as her first road bike having ridden (and still riding) mountain bikes. The tyres and tubes were shot so I replace them and it rides really nicely!

It's got 'Cycles Gerard' decals on it, which are cut vinyl, and a rather nice paint job which is a metallic pink fade at the front with gold and silver stars! There is also quite a lot of rust, which is unsightly but not structural (I think/hope).

There is a varied mix of components on it, mismatched Rigida rims, one shimano tricolor hub, shimano front much, suntour cranks (I think) with pink painted accents, suntour shifters, shimano front mech, simplex rear, ITM bars tange forks and weinmann brakes! The bike itself feels light but dont have a similar sized/specced bike to compare it with, the seatpost is 26.8.

The frame has a serial number of B0146NR10 stamped under the bottom bracket, and has Simplex dropouts.

Soooo, does anyone know anything about Cycles Gerard, or what this bike is/was? I've googled it but can't find anything. It is a nice bike which I will keep and tidy up, but it would be nice to know a bit more about it.

What do you think???
There used to be a Ted Gerard cycle shop back in the day, think he was a good rider even farther back in the day. I remember buying a pair of hand built wheels from his shop via an advert in the weekly "comic", I seem to remember it was in the Birmingham area, no knowledge if your bike has any connection

Re:

imo likely to be French. (surprised you didn't pick up on that possibility Little Al given your location.) "Cycles Gerard" was likely a provincial bike shop which bought in stock frames and badged them. Check the bb cups for lettering indicating French thread?

Re: Re:

torqueless":1jm0iur0 said:
imo likely to be French. (surprised you didn't pick up on that possibility Little Al given your location.) "Cycles Gerard" was likely a provincial bike shop which bought in stock frames and badged them. Check the bb cups for lettering indicating French thread?

I have a friend who is the cycle eqiv of a steam loco " rivet counter" re french bikes & he came with
Cycles Gerrard Jean Francois,za du Maupas Tel 0299092130 although he was of the opinion that it was more a bike repair & sales of branded other than his own bikes. Sorry I think brain fade has set in .looking more closely at the photo's it appears a mass produced rather than a one off build

Re: Re:

Little Al":15tg6aqm said:
Cycles Gerrard
Frame has the name spelled with only 2 'R's' not 3 so is it the same? Ted Gerrard had the 3 'R's' but it's certainly not one of his. His shop was in North London.

Attachments

• TG FramesMid56.A.jpg
    TG FramesMid56.A.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 641
Re:

Thanks Gents,

This has been stripped down to the frame now, BB was English thread.

Going to get it re-painted when she can decide which colour she wants it! Plan on re-doing the decals as they are now. It is what it is.

:cool:

Regards, Dave.

Back