Stan Saunders

nnozil

Retro Newbie
I have a vintage road bike with the name Stan Saunders printed on the down tube. The bike also has the address
116 anerly Rd
London
Se19

I want to restore this bike however I have no history about the bike I was hoping if you guys had any knowledge on the area and the bike.

Re:

not much help I'm afraid but if it's the same person then Stan Saunders was a Professional rider for the Triumph cycle team back in the early 1950's, he was a useful sprinter and competed abroad on a number of times......as for your enquiry about the London SE19 Anerley and Norwood areas there were a number of shops that opened and closed in the area notably Holdsworth also Ken Bird/Reg Barnett etc.

Griff

Anerley Road is in Penge and Ken Bird had a shop there. Before my time though, he closed that shop in the 70s I think.

Any chance you could put up some pics of the bike? I only ask because I grew up there and I'd love to see some pics of a bike from one of the local builders/shops, even if it's really knackered!

Jonny69":1j05nmhi said:
Anerley Road is in Penge and Ken Bird had a shop there. Before my time though, he closed that shop in the 70s I think.

Any chance you could put up some pics of the bike? I only ask because I grew up there and I'd love to see some pics of a bike from one of the local builders/shops, even if it's really knackered!

I grew up around there as well !, I'm pretty sure the address is the Ken Bird shop, He didn't actually make frames, although his brother Alec did, most were rebadged Holdsworth's, as the factory was just around the corner

......Ken Bird's shop was a little further along and over the road at 37 Anerley Rd SE19

Griff

Re:

Thanks for your guys help. I guess I will try and find out more about ken birds and Stan Saunders as a racer, any more information will be gratefully appreciated as I will get more of an understanding on what year the frame is and who built it.

close up photo's of the frame and lugs etc. may help date the era it's from plus frame and fork steerer number could yield a possible builder.....good luck with the research!

Griff

See the thread on Holdsworth Roi de Velo. He's mentioned as a pro. for Holdsworth on the adverts.

Back