Raleigh Clubman (80s) advice needed

Gibbsy1988

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have been having a look at your vintage bikes and it's really making me want to get mine built up. I'm looking for a bit of advice if possible.

After riding modern bikes (mainly cyclocross) I wanted an old bike project as I've always loved the look of retro bikes. I was recently given an old bike by my friend's dad as it was just sitting around. The previous owner had badly painted the bike in gloss yellow which looks even worse close up. After doing some research online it turns out it's most likely a Raleigh Clubman from the 80s. I'm going to strop the paint back and get it painted again.

The serial number starts with 'WF5' which I'm led to believe was the Worksop factory but then moved to Nottingham in the early 80s (I think?) And the '5' is most likely 1985. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The one thing that's confusing me is the head badge. It wasn't on when I got the bike but I'm sure raleigh head badges have 3 rivets holding it onto the frame. My frame only has 2 holes, one above the other. Is this normal? Or is it a different make? Any help will be appreciated.

It wont let me post photos as all of my photos are over 512kb and only lets me compress my photos to 3.5mb so hopefully you'll know what I mean. I can email them to anyone who needs pictures.

thanks in advance.

Gary

Hi mate it sounds like a 85 bike. Built at the lightweight unit on triumph road in Nottingham. The later badges were plastic and fixed through two holes.

Welcome :)

Yep, the number is consistent with a Nottingham built Raleigh / Carlton from 1985. The Carlton factory had closed a few years earlier but Raleigh "nicked" the W number from Worksop!

I use Irfanview (free) to shrink images down to size before uploading. Seems to work for me. The 85 Clubman should be one of these I think, only available in claret (red).

ral84_11.jpg

e483ff3b6821839ef515ba2f9b1e841579bb73f2

Shaun

Plus if you Google 85 raleigh catalogue you'll find a link to this forum and a Flickr album with the catalogue.

Re:

Brilliant! Thanks for all the quick replys!

That's definitely the right bike and I'm glad to hear it is a Raleigh after being confused about the two holes for the head badge.

The claret red paint shows through on parts of the frame. At first I thought it was the royal tourer but after not being able to find it in claret I realised it was the clubman.

Unfortunately not all of the original parts are on it and the wheels are in bad condition so might just have to do do a mix and match of parts when doing it up.

I'll get some pictures up of it soon if I can compress the files enough.

Just one more question. I have a cyclocross bike and a touring bike so would this raleigh be a good road bike or is it more suited to touring/cruising due to the springyness and geometry of the frame? You'll have to excuse my lack of experience as I've never rode an old steel frame before. If it is better suited as a tourer then I'll do it up that way and give my other tourer to my dad or something.

Thanks again!

Re:

Swings more towards touring rather than a out and out racing bike, but saying that I have used mine on anger on many sportives and charity rides and it holds its own.

And so comfy :cool:

To me the geometry seems similar to my old Dawes celeste which made for an excellent sports tourer and 531 tubing is great for long distance rides as it's very springy yet strong so is very forgiving yet will reward you on strong pedal strokes unlike aluminum which can be quite harsh without front suspension ..

Re:

Thanks again for the quick replys. I'll do it up as more of a tourer then. My other tourer was a hybrid that I converted to a drop bar tourer and is an aluminium frame with aluminium fork. Although it's quite comfortable it's not the best.

Can't wait to get started!

Back