1970’s Peugeot road bike

AdrianW

Retro Newbie
I am a complete novice regarding classic bikes, and for pleasure I have an old 1970’s Peugeot road bike in very fine condition, very similar to the one I once had, which was stolen from outside Manchester Poly in 1979. In order to make it easy to use I would like to use clip-less pedals occasionally - is this sacrilege on this forum?!

I understand that period French bikes use a 14 x 1.25mm pedal thread and for example Shimano use a 9/16” thread on pedals. In this case in order to use SPD pedals I assume I would need to purchase a new set of cranks with a 9/16” pedal interface? This is all too much change and I would like to revert to the original pedals with clips when I feel like it.

Is there a way around this, so I can use clip-less pedals occasionally?

Any thoughts would be very welcome

Re:

First check that your Peugeot actually has French thread pedals and cranks :D

You could get the cranks re threaded at an engineering company/bike shop to 9/16 so you could use any of your existing clip less pedals and buy a pair of 9/16 quill pedals to attach your toe clips to.

You could buy a pair of 14x1.25 clip less pedals, search eBay.fr using the search Pédales filetage 14x125.

I just tried this and found a pais of NOS Time pedals 14x125

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Pedales-automati ... SwMHdXRb6H

Or change your cranks and keep the originals to put back on if you change your mind :D

Back