Whats in the name?

scarrabri

Devout Dirtbag
Hi i must have too much time on my hands as i got to thinking, that some one must have sat down and thought what should i call this bike i have just created,
so i looked up mine the Triumph Tempest and this came up
Hypernyms ("tempest" is a kind of...):
commotion; disruption; disturbance; flutter; hoo-ha; hoo-hah; hurly burly; kerfuffle; to-do (a disorderly outburst or tumult) or Tempest in a tea pot ,which some what amused me,
so does any one else know why there Bikes were given such a name,best wishes Brian.

RickTheUncivil":uccw2wt1 said:
what, like Humuhumu-Nukunuku-Apu'A? Isn't that Welsh for cauliflower or something?

More than likely is lol Only good words for the Welsh,come on Wales.

Lots of things named after storms and winds, (most VW's and maseratis for instance), I've got a Chinook - not the helicopter, I haven't got room for all my bikes nevermind that - and had a Sirocco til recently.

Edit: BTW a Welsh cauli is called a blodfresych which is not a good name for a bike (but then neither is cauliflower!)

Re:

Humuhumnukunukuapua'a https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 9vxPid8noQ

I can understand the wind connection, (Being swift as the wind),some Raleigh names, Pulsar and Quasar are a bit more difficult to understand. I suppose tapping into the brave new world f the early 80's.

The bike name I struggle with the most is the Kona Scab, no good connotations from that word at all :facepalm:

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":2bs93roz said:
The bike name I struggle with the most is the Kona Scab, no good connotations from that word at all :facepalm:

As a Portuguese speaker I can't believe anyone here would ride around with kona emblazoned on their frame :shock:

My wife has a Triumph Traffic Master 3-speed and I've also seen Triumph Traveller - so I'm with Midlife thinking someone at Raleigh/Triumph was a fan of alliteration. Tempest sounds a bit wild and exciting plus the Shakespeare angle adds a bit of gravitas.

A related question: why would Raleigh release identical bikes with the same name under different marques? Why make a Raleigh Tempest and a Triumph Tempest in the same colours for the same market? I've also seen Raleigh branded versions of the above mentioned Traffic Master and Travellers. :?

Back