Raleigh Centenary Model. 24 c gold plate .

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
My LBS is taking bids on one of these . Former 5 Star Raleigh dealer . It is as new . Kept in its box since 1987 .

It is not on ebay .

To small for me at 22.5 inches .Plus I could not hide it from the boss ;) .

I will post a couple of pictures later . Lots of bling :cool: .

If this is in the wrong thread mods please move .

Plus I am not sure on any rule of giving the shops name .

Re:

The shop that was selling this closed in September after 80+ years of trading :cry: .[Samways of Derby] Not sure what happened to this particular bike . I was away when the shutters came down for the last time .

Re:

I remember drooling over one at Canterbury Cycle Mart in the 80s at £899. It was reduced to £300 and sold soon after. Regret not buying that when I saw it.

Evans had one at the cycle show in July ...

Attachments

• 6312492269149597362.jpg
    6312492269149597362.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 616
Often see adverts for items gold plated stating 24 carat plate. You can't electro plate with anything less than pure metal. Calling it 24 carat implies it is better, but it is also the worst quality gold plate. There is no other. The depth in microns should be quoted.

Keith

I've got one of these now. It had a small patch of rust on the rear stay, which caused an area the size of a small finger nail to go cloudy. This small bit then pealed off like lacquer leaving behind chrome. So the gold is transparent. So I really don't know if its a metal plate at all. I think its a coating like they used on the Burners. Also if it was real gold wouldn't they have shouted about it all over the paper work ?

Re:

It was Raleighs way of marking their Centenary . 100 of these frames available to their top dealers . Shimano 105 group set not ott . What ever the plate is it marked a point in Raleighs history. A marketing exercise to draw people into a shop at the time .

I'd love one...

...but it is about 146 on my want list.

1. Porsche 911
2. Dyna Tech Quantum
3. Naim Audio HiFi
4. Sahinian Arc Speakers
5. House in Colorado

etc etc etc

Back