Mercian frame numbers

focomat 1c

Retro Guru
I have a Mercian t/t bike that dates from the 1980's ? and I would like to find out more about it

The frame has a full complement of Campag kit with Spidal shifters and Cinelli bars/stem. My problem is that I have been unable to find
a frame number so far. There is a clear number 8 on the b/b shell which I believe is the frame builders identification, however there is also a
plastic gear cable guide riveted to the b/b shell which I guess could be obscuring the frame number ?

Presuming that the majority of the Campag parts are original ? I could possibly get some idea of a date from these components ?
I am familiar with Shimano and Suntour date code letter systems, however I know nothing about dating Campag parts

Any advice would be appreciated. I should have mentioned that it has a 6 speed freewheel, which might help to narrow down the date ?

Whip out the forks and see if the number is stamped on there as well. I think Mercian charge a tenner for info if you contact them. (Presuming it's pre 1970)

Any pics? Always nice to see a Mercian:)

Shaun

I presume then that a number might be found on the fork steerer tube, however I don't have time to look at present. Its just that with the lousy weather I
thought an enquiry was worth trying.

As I understand it pre 1970 info was destroyed at the factory

Yep, Mercian moved 1971 and the records didn't somehow make the move. I think it was Dawes that lost them in a fire.

Does it have a Campag rear mech with a Pat number? Pics can also be helpful in dating

Shaun

Should be a number stamped on the very top of the rear mech along with Pat, also a number in a shape on the inside of the cranks.

There is also the date stamped on the hub locknut but fiddly to get to lol

Shaun

The rear mech is a Nuovo Record marked 'Patent-70' and the crank arm is stamped 'Strada' with the number 3 inside a circle. Hope this helps

Rear mech is 1970, the first year they stamped it Pat and then the last 2 digits of the year.

Cranks are 1983, the number inside the circle is the last digit of the year. The circle is 1980's. There are a couple of odd 80's years when they used 11 or 22 in a circle but that was later.

The 1970's had the manufacturing year in a triangle.

Are the brakes held on with Allen key nuts or are they proper nuts for a spanner?

Shaun

The rear mech cable guide is a braze on above the b/b, while the front mech cable goes underneath through a plastic cable guide that is held in
position by a single rivet. The brakes are held on by conventional nuts with special Campag washers.

Thanks for your interest

Ooohh ! my era time trial bike then :) the under BB guide is a later addition, back in the day we just lobbed the cable under the bottom bracket with a bit of grease :)

Here's my 70's TT personal steed

2znyf6c.jpg

Shaun

Back