Eroica 2016 : Report and Photos

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

Here is my 3rd bash at doing a report ... this year mixed reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good report Montello.
On Friday I arrived at the end of the queue about a mile outside Bakewell from the east on the A6 about 3pm and waited an hour and a half to get in to the campervan site. Ok for me as I knew why I was waiting but for people just trying to travel along the A6 it must have been very frustrating. Surely they cannot let this happen again ?
The showground was a bog and thankfully they had warned us to bring wellies. Absolutely essential.
Cycle Jumble was good with quite a few continental dealers. Never seen so many old bikes for sale and I am surprised how many riders hire their stead. Surely they are missing out on all the fettling and adjusting many of us enjoy ? It is true that many of the stalls had at best a tenuous link with classic bikes and were more lifestyle and countryside orientated e.g. the very large Country Living magazine marquee, however, it gave us something different to look at and probably pleased other halves as well as giving us opportunities to buy presents to take home. A wide range of food outlets, a variety of live music, fairground for the kids - yes, this is the cyclist's Glastonbury.
Best event for me ? Barry Hoban talking about his times racing with Anquetil, Merckx and Hinault. Pity they cut him a bit short; I could have happily spent twice as long listening to him. Still I met him in person later and he signed my book "Vas-y-Barry", a good read.
Ride day and I did the 55 as usual, this time on a 1962 Hetchins, 10 speed. Quite a few changes to the route with more trails and I feel more hills or am I imagining it ? Long queue at the first stop at Biggin so just toilets, bidon water and off. Usual heart in mouth stuff coming down those inclines towards High Peak Junction, more like a semi-controlled crash. Decent food stop here with tea and cake, chairs by the canal and quick service. More small changes to the route to Chatsworth which I felt a bit of a disappointment. No ride through the park, no champagne indeed little to eat or drink at all.
Into the finishing straight and directed into a quagmire from which there seemed no way out. My shoes and bike ended up dirtier after finishing than during the ride. Back to the van for a wash and then a last look round the jumble and stalls. Nice brass band struck up only for the rain to start falling so that was it.
Monday, more rain and a bog at the exit from the field so had to be towed out.
All in all, I think the organiser’s did the best they could in very difficult weather and land conditions. Nearly everything took place as expected and I shall be returning next year.

I actually thought the 55 was almost as tough as the 100 I'd done in previous years ...

The 55 had more off road trails and my average speed on the 55 was less than it was for the 100 the previous years...

I'm wondering if they will look to move to a different location for next year?

There must be an element of people thinking they have done Bakewell for 3 years now ... perhaps time to move on ... plus I am certain they will get flack from the locals for gridlocking the A6.

Did I read they have an agreement with the Local and Park Authorities for 5 years ? Also to run an event like this everything has to run like clockwork and by now they know how to do it. Imagine if the bad weather had happened in year one. It might have been hopeless. One reason for moving would be increasing the size of the event. Must be near to capacity here ? However, the ethos of L'Eroica is the need for extensive trails and I am not sure where else you would find these of a quality that everyone can ride.
However, understandable some may feel they have "done" Bakewell after three years and want a change. For myself I enjoy the now familiarity of it.

Apple Tree":3huw2giu said:
However, understandable some may feel they have "done" Bakewell after three years and want a change. For myself I enjoy the now familiarity of it.

True, the trails and area are superb...

Re:

cheers guys, nice to read, almost makes me feel I was there.

These are the roads we ride every weekend, nice to know others around the country appreciate them too

Nice report Montello and well done to Sarah for pedalling that Moulton around the 30 mile route!

Below is a link to the local paper, Matlock Mercury, where it states that the event attracted 50 000 people and had an economic impact of £3.5 million. It also mentions the organisers brought in 200 000 tonnes of woodchip and spent £25 000 on emergency drainage!

Likewise with pigman I ride these trails and roads all the time....but it doesn't compare with riding them with 4500 like-minded enthusiasts! Roll on next year!

http://www.matlockmercury.co.uk/news/lo ... -1-7975224

Latest posts

Back