Has anyone used Plusgas to release seized seatposts?

negaultra7

The Number Of The Beast
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I use vinegar first, just to soak it and then a penetrating oil. Not WD40!!! Use an old stem on the seatpost and put it in a vice. Then use the frame gently as a leaver and gently rock the post, even tap it in with a hammer to try and break the rust. You might need to soak it for a few days. Good luck!

Simon

Definitely it works.

One seatpost on a secondhand frame (with the top half ripped off and big stillson marks chewed all over it so somebody had used brute force and failed) moved 5 minutes after a squirt with Plus Gas.

On another frame I managed to get the post out intact after taking out the bottom bracket, leaving it upside down and giving it a squirt a day down the seat tube for a week.

Re:

hamster wrote:

leaving it upside down and giving it a squirt a day down the seat tube for a week.

I used a variation on Hamster's technique by inverting the frame on alternate days and frequently squirting Plus Gas into it. The post was knackered anyway so I clamped a large mole grip onto it (using a clamp to tighten the mole grip) and applied a few judicious hammer blows to the grip. The post moved almost at once but it had taken over a week so patience is key. I then discovered that someone had used a post that was way oversize :roll:

I've got both Plusgas and WD40 in the shed and use them both quite a lot. I can't say I've actually noticed a massive difference between them in practice, despite the fact that I default to Plusgas. Plusgas is a bit thinner and smells like it's mainly diesel, while WD40 is a little oilier and, well, you probably know what it smells like :D

Back