Cleaning restoration

4ndyyorks

Retro Newbie
Hi, I've been given a bike that has been garage stored for many years and has developed tiny rust spots pretty much all over the frame and forks - any tips on how to best get rid?
I'm currently at it with rubbing compound which is very slowly removing some of it. Just wondering what everyone else uses
Cheers
Andy

So much depends on the bike, its age, rare, original decals, once you've rubbed it down then what ? are stripping it completely or just doing cosmetics.

Rubbing compound will leave very dull paint areas, just using touch up will look terrible, so you need to think what is your own plan in mind.

If the paint is good & its small patches you can get away with touch up (maybe) I normally completely strip to bar metal, you may only see little rust spots but when I've stripped frames completely one finds the rust has migrated like hair lines all under the paint.

A lot of rust speckling can look worse than what it is. Tiny pin holes in the paint will rust to leach out over the paint surface. If the paint is sound you can try Liberon super fine steel wool dipped in oil or sprayed with WD40. Sometimes you find some rust spots will flick off with your nail.

Re:

T-cut or a polishing compound can help. Fine wire wool or fine brass brush but polish the area afterwards. Furniture wax can help stopping the rust coming back. It can be hard to get the exact paint to match and not look great.

Simon

Latest posts

Back