Identifying a 1970s? Carlton

raleighinternational

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, anyone know what the frame is here, I'm wondering if it's 531 as it has forged dropouts.
Also what is the model / year approx / American/English market etc. and what was original from new? Sorry no other pics available.

Colour looks like fire red which here in the UK was a 70's colour for the Carlton Grand Prix. Any frame number?

The Carlton frame with the teardrop cutouts was a Corsair / Pro-Am variant here. Here's a Pic of a Corsair....

Photo-02-02-2014-12-32-17.jpg

Shaun

Midlife":a3ggn7x6 said:
Colour looks like fire red which here in the UK was a 70's colour for the Carlton Grand Prix. Any frame number?

The Carlton frame with the teardrop cutouts was a Corsair / Pro-Am variant here. Here's a Pic of a Corsair....

Photo-02-02-2014-12-32-17.jpg

Shaun
Hi Shaun, thanks for your input here. I'm having trouble identifying the model and year.
It's a listing and the seller knows very little about the bike and thinks it's very valuable!!!
I have no serial number to offer, can you identify the approximate year from the decals?
I doubt very much is original on the bike but are more interested in the frame. There's remnants of a 531 decal but think the fork's are hi ten, it has forged dropouts with eyelets and what looks like racing geometry - going on the front fork rake.
Recently there's been an influx of Raleigh of America bikes to Australia, do you think it might be one of those?

The design of the frame is late 70's to early 80's, and they used 531 main tubes only.

The Pro-Am was launched at the Harrogate bike show in 1978. The style of the decals (square and blocky with the dead tube transfer) if original will date it as well because I think Carlton only used them on non-professional frames for about 4 years (74-78 rings a bell).

Is it very valuable? Well it's certainly not the 531 Carlton Professional so I think he'll struggle to sell it for a lot of money. Many of the USA Carltons were actually badged as Raleigh with a "made by Carlton" decal on it so may not be a USA import.

Shaun

Midlife":12tyyqbd said:
The design of the frame is late 70's to early 80's, and they used 531 main tubes only.

The Pro-Am was launched at the Harrogate bike show in 1978. The style of the decals (square and blocky with the dead tube transfer) if original will date it as well because I think Carlton only used them on non-professional frames for about 4 years (74-78 rings a bell).

Is it very valuable? Well it's certainly not the 531 Carlton Professional so I think he'll struggle to sell it for a lot of money. Many of the USA Carltons were actually badged as Raleigh with a "made by Carlton" decal on it so may not be a USA import.

Shaun
Thanks Shaun a 531 main tube frame will slot in nicely between the International and Grand Prix. Glad it's not a US export too. Am waiting for seller to get back to me with measurements. Cheers, Matthew

It's the top tube cable clips that get me, Carlton liked their braze ons. Reminds me of this bike which looks like a Carlton Clubman from the late 70's

p619675536-2.jpg

Shaun

Below is a 1978 advert for frames, you can just make out the Carlton Clubman came in fire red. £42 quid so not a cheapie by any means.

2rr44ts.jpg

Shaun

Re:

I was thinking clubman too. Came in post office red or metallic blue as a frame only. 531 main tubes if I remember correctly. The posher dedicated winter frame for those who could afford a new purpose built winter bike. Most of us rode hand me downs for winter

The pieces of the puzzle are coming together! Thanks everyone of your valued contributions. Shaun you have better eyesight than mine - I can't read the Bates ad copy text at all! It makes sense that it was offered as a frame as the components on the listed bike are mismatched and low end. Thanks again!

Back