Freewheel/block tech question....

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So, the rear wheel of my tandem has a five speed block and a hub brake. The result is that it is a little to wide for the dropouts :(

I plan to fit a narrow 3 or 4 speed one and run a resillion rear mech.

I have just bought and received this, but before I fit it, I need to work out how to get it off again.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-3-Speed ... SwJb9WqhHe

Any suggestions? :oops: :roll:

Dave

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I don't think its designed to remove it and reuse it. Once removed, its a throwaway, You use a new one.
To get it off, use a punch in the 2 holes you see and unscrew the cover plate clockwise. Then lift off the body (with the cogs still attached). Then put the inner body in the jaws of a vice and turn the wheel to unscrew it.
Fit a new one

Re: Re:

pigman":wr699khc said:
I don't think its designed to remove it and reuse it. Once removed, its a throwaway, You use a new one.
To get it off, use a punch in the 2 holes you see and unscrew the cover plate clockwise. Then lift off the body (with the cogs still attached). Then put the inner body in the jaws of a vice and turn the wheel to unscrew it.
Fit a new one
That's what I was afraid of......

Re:

Is it 1/2 x 1/8 or 3/32?
If it drives on one pawl it might dig up the ratchet and seize, I had a Regina do that once.
I would not trust this on a tandem. To remove, as stated just tap the end plate off (left hand thread) and tip in bin.
16 is low for a high gear.
I always set our tandems to drive from the front. I you do this you will need a gear that can stand the tension required.

Keith

Re:

Seems to be 3/32 .We will only be pottering about, not really working it hard. Really wanted a cheap unit to trial a non parallel rear mechanism. Still looking for a good 4speed block.

Back