Fratelli Hubs - Re chrome

VeloFellow54

Old School Hero
Anyone out there know the procedure for splitting alloy flanges from chromed steel hub barrels ? I have a very nice pair of late '40's Fratelli Brivio hubs that need re chroming and I understand that the flanges can be removed and put back. But how ?

Re:

I can't help directly, but there was a recent discussion on Airlight hubs which discussed this. Unless the design is fundamentally different, you might search for that.
While talking about FB, if you don't mind, I have a crankset (for cottered BB), chromed steel, though the chrome is rusted and flaking. Are their parts sought after?

I would expect a Fratelli crank set to be quite desirable. I assume that it is fluted with 3 arms - very similar to Gnutti cranks ? As to whether it is worth paying to get it re-chromed is another matter. Good plating is not cheap and the end result will be partly dependant upon how badly corroded it is.
It is always best if any stamping / engraving is still visible after plating as if it has been polished out there will be far less interest.

Re:

Airlight solid centre alloy flange hubs are easy to remove the alloy flanges, the FB I would think are not reasonably possible to remove and refit, so no replating.
FB also made the early Campagnolo GS hubs.

Keith

Re:

Apologies to hijack the thread, but I've not seen FB discussed in detail (I was aware of the Campagnolo link), so for completeness some pictures...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,510
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,510
They would re chrome quite nicely in my opinion. Look late 40's to early 50's to me and identical to Gnutti - as are others that I have seen. Which makes me wonder.....it was not unknown for manufacturers to badge for others - Magistroni certainly did !
If you decide to sell them I may well be interested (I have a pile of parts going for plating very soon)
Steve

VeloFellow54":1entd89l said:
They would re chrome quite nicely in my opinion. Look late 40's to early 50's to me and identical to Gnutti - as are others that I have seen. Which makes me wonder.....it was not unknown for manufacturers to badge for others - Magistroni certainly did !
If you decide to sell them I may well be interested (I have a pile of parts going for plating very soon)
Steve

Dropped you a PM. There is a mark of a '9' in a 'G', not sure if this could be a Gnutti?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,469
No. I have 2 Gnutti sets and neither have a number in this location. I expect that many manufacturers copies each others designs. Either way a nice set and quite rare.

VeloFellow54":2k1dfi2o said:
No. I have 2 Gnutti sets and neither have a number in this location. I expect that many manufacturers copies each others designs. Either way a nice set and quite rare.

I dropped you a message, should be in your inbox. Cheers.

Back