Drop bar brake levers cable pull

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Got some gb arret levers on my rra. The calipers are gb synchron/altenberger. Pads are cork as the rims are wooden. Of course cork pads compress. The problem is the levers pull back to bar while not providing any real braking.

To resolve this levers which pull more cable would be useful. Any ideas on which set i could pick. I do enough random buying trying to make it more targeted.

Side pull brakes with two pivot points like centre pulls except the is a rollar cam which should make the pull required similar to modern dual pivot brakes. This is what makes me wonder about cable pull.

Sound like dual pivot Altenburger/GB Synchrons. Are you getting enough 'spring' in the brake mech, sounds as if the cable may need some retensioning at the clamp bolt, ie pull more cable through and keep it taught, then reclamp the bolt. Adjust after. Cables can stretch.

No slack in cable checked that. Simply as you pull the lever the pads compress and the lever hits the bars.

I need levers that pull the most cable simple as that.

Will modernish levers be OK, Shimano linear response seem to pull a lot if cable or is that my imagination playing tricks again?

Shaun

I was hoping there was a vintage alternative. I may have to try this option and see, I had considered it but old 105 or ultegra non aero levers would look out of place.

Suntour Superbe levers were quite a way from the bars so might help, the very early Campag levers also had a lot of travel.

Shaun

Back