1958 Condor restoration

Luckylegs

Retro Newbie
I'm looking to restore my Dad's 1958 Condor road bike and was wondering if anyone had any tips on determining its specification when it left the shop. The majority of the parts are original but I know that my Dad changed the stem at some point, so it would be interesting to know what would have been fitted before the swap. I've spoken to Condor who weren't really able to help and Googling hasn't given me the information I need.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I might be able find out these things?
Thanks for any comments

Re:

In those days a typical Condor would have been built with whatever the owner had / could afford / or replaced.

Commonly the purchase would have been frame only.

One good reason was that complete bikes carried a purchase tax of around 20%, parts had none, so to buy a decent lightweight bike complete was not usual. You could buy all the parts in one go and assemble it, but this was rare also, it was a matter of improving and probably committing the old parts to a winter bike.

The market for hand built frames was very small.
I was retailing in an area of about 1 million people, and the active recreational cyclists numbered probably about 200 to 300, and I knew them all.

Keith

Welcome:)

Keith has hit the nail on the head, people put stuff on frames that they could afford, get handed down, fashion or simply what they liked the look of. Over time bits were swapped and changed as it wore out or went out of fashion.

The concept of the "group set" was alien at that time, I am a child of the 70's and only people with lots of money and teams could afford "full Campag"

Pics of the frame and kit would help :).

Cheers

Shaun

originally if it was built up with completely new kit and was equipped with popular branded handlebars of the era like GB/Cinelli/Titan etc. then chances are it would have had a matching branded extension/stem (although it wasn't unknown to mix 'n' match these components)

Griff

Re:

Typical top spec in 1958 would have 49d and TA rings, Cinelli steel bars and stem, Campagnolo GS QR hubs and gears, selection of sprint rims (Mavic,Fiamme,Weinmann wood inserts), Brooks saddle, Universal brake levers with Mafac racer brakes.

Keith

Re:

Thanks for the comments - they've been helpful. I'm travelling at the moment but I will post some pictures in a couple of days so you can have a look at what I'm talking about.
keithglos":15skcmgt said:
Typical top spec in 1958 would have 49d and TA rings, Cinelli steel bars and stem, Campagnolo GS QR hubs and gears, selection of sprint rims (Mavic,Fiamme,Weinmann wood inserts), Brooks saddle, Universal brake levers with Mafac racer brakes.

Keith
The bike definitely had Fiamme wheels originally (although the tubs were replaced with Shimano clinchers) and Campag Gran Sport shifters and derailleurs. The Brooks saddle has been lost (my brother rode this bike in a London - Brighton about 20 years ago and changed the saddle) and I think the brakes are Universal although I need to check...

Re:

I have a 1956 Condor which I bought from the original owner; made for him by WBH. I was keen to return it to period spec and in conversation with the owner the spec was pretty much as KeithGlos describes. He preferred bar controls and used Cyco rather than Campagnolo which would have been hard to come by. I was surprised that he had GS hubs, (with Fiamme sprints), but he was involved with Condor and WBH so that may have helped.l

Re:

As some of you will know, I was retailing all that kit in the 1950/60s. The Holdsworthy Company were Importers and trade distributors of Campagnolo from about 1951. Look up their "Aids to happy cycling" for components and price list. Campagnolo GS on Fiamme were the popular wheel option, being strong and mid price. I did a SF pair for £6, I still remember the difference the extra discount for 6 pairs of GS hubs made.

I used Cyclo handlebar controls 1950/51, but they were difficult to keep tight enough.
I could change both front and rear at once off the saddle with the old Benelux gear. Also never taped the cables round the bars.

Keith

Re:

Thanks again for the comments. I have some pictures but can't work out how insert them in a post... Is there somewhere on the forum you can direct me to that gives some instruction?

(Sorry for the newbie question by the way)

Back