Coventry Eagle retro fit

Metal8

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I'm looking to see what I can do with my much loved Coventry Eagle which I got in 1986 as a special birthday present!
Lovely bike at the time and was probably in the £350-400 range.

Reynolds 531 tubing.
Simplex SX 410 rear derailleur, 10 speed gears. Downtube shifters. Front derailleur broke, it was Simplex plastic bolt on. Now got a nice shiny new black Shimano.
Weinmann side pull brakes.
Sakae Custom 170 Crank/BB.
Steel/Chrome 27" x 1 1/4" wheels with 36 spokes.
Came with mudguards and was very much more of a commuter/light tourer.

Looking to keep it as original as possible but always was a bit cautious of the steel rims and braking. Got used to it when younger but being that bit older and slightly heavier :shock: , I'd maybe like to get better brakes.
LBS who fitted the new derailleur suggested I should ride it as and if I wanted to keep riding it a lot, I could take the next step and upgrade the wheels to 700c.
That would mean longer reach brakes.
What else worth doing if anything?
I could do it as an ongoing project bit at a time but happy just getting alloy wheels and better brakes just now. The 700c would mean I could get tyres a lot easier from anywhere.

One question, at the back of the rear dropouts there's a tiny screw thread. What's that for?
I'll attach pics.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 864
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 864
Re:

The threaded hole on the back of the drop outs is for a screw and spring which is used to centre the axle in the dropouts and makes it easier to refit the wheel in exactly the same place each time, here's one of mine...

DSC04317.jpg

My wife has a similar Coventry Eagle frame but in the mixte version. Same colour and 531 etc.
Yours is the first I have seen in a long while in that colour, nice :)
Keep us up to date with how your progressing and also post some full pictures if you could.
Thanks for sharing and best of luck with it.

Jamie

Re:

Thanks Jamie, good to hear :D

My Uncle had a bike shop and I think my Dad got it nearly wholesale price which was still a lot of money to us then!
Come from a cycling family going way back though I haven't kept up cycling for a number of years and really want to get going again and get fit.
Picked the green especially as nothing I'd seen on a bike compared, they were dark green, red or blue mostly if I remember correctly.

Looking like I might go the alloy rim 27 x 1 1/4" wheels, keep the 5 speed at the back and the original Weinmann side pull brakes.
If I need to I can upgrade bit by bit but really want this to still be 'my bike' but with some newer safer rimmed wheels.

Only thing is, I think they are 125mm hubs and even the 27" wheels you can buy are 130mm. Don't understand as surely anyone getting a 27" wheel is going to want to put it in a 126mm frame?

Anyway, there's options and I'll keep posting with pictures.

Cheers

Re: Re:

t47b said:
The threaded hole on the back of the drop outs is for a screw and spring which is used to centre the axle in the dropouts and makes it easier to refit the wheel in exactly the same place each time, here's one of mine...

Thanks t47b. Good idea that! I'll need to get a screw and spring.

Re: Re:

Metal8":3bx0vce6 said:
t47b":3bx0vce6 said:

Thanks t47b. Good idea that! I'll need to get a screw and spring.

You should be able to buy the complete item with a bit of research (possibly on e-bay?) or maybe at a cycle jumble.

Re:

Thanks, yes it is. There are the same holes in front forks.

Best way to fill the numerous chips/scuffs I've found. None of them drastic but possibly showing brown primer rather than rust.
Was thinking clear nail varnish? That way I can monitor the area for rust and give protection?

Re:

Ok, I've decided on the refit.
Going to LBS who fitted my new front mech.
Getting new 700c wheels with new hub and cassette and dual pivot caliper brakes. In black, goes well with the green frame paint and the original Simplex stuff was black too.
If I get it done with him, he'll widen the back forks to 130mm as part of the job. Save an hour's labour charge.

Leaving handlebars/headset and downtube shifters alone. I like downtube shifters.

One thing I wasn't sure of, I take it if I'm getting new wheels and hub, I take it I can up the sprocket count from 5 to 7,8 or 9?

Had a brief conversation with LBS guy so maybe didn't ask all the pertinent questions.

Latest posts

Back