Campagnolo tool kit fair price?

PerB

Old School Hero
A complete wooden box Campagnolo Complete Mechanics Toolset #3380for Record/ Super Record is sitting waiting for a fair price here in Norway.I am interested and the owner asked me for a fair price proposal, he is interested in parting with the kit. But as an old bike mechanics he is aware that the kit has a certain value. The kit has been used in a professional bike shop and also traveled around the country as the owner was also a race mechanics. The wooden box is in fair condition, and most of the tools is mint I would say. I don't think there is a large market for such here in Norway, nobody wants to spend serious money on this except me and a couple of friends and I have first refusal just now...

I don't want to offend him and I don't want to pay to much either, so gents whats a fair price to pay?

I searched the e-bay but there is none for sale just now.

Re:

i know where there is another one aswel, i was at Burkes cycles in New Zealand working for the last 2 winters here (their summer) and they had one, the other mechanics had never even opened it! it had been in the workshop tucked away for years, when i opened it to used the crown race facing tool they were gobsmacked by the sight of it and watched me use the crown race facing tool, they'd never seen it done before!

the value is hard to say, to buy equivalent tools from for example Park tools would be well over £1000 but it depends why you are buying, personally if i got my hands on a kit like this i'd polish it and clean it, varnish the box and put it on display!

i'd say offer £300 and see what he says, at the end of the day it's used and if you're anything like me then you just 'want it', you don't 'need it' and on that basis the price can't be too high or you'll just not buy it.

Do you mean the full wooden box (they did a few variations), I think they call it the master mechanic or framebuilders kit.

They come up on eBay 3 or 4 times a year and sell for between £1500 - £3000 depending on condition and threading and completeness.

Individual cutting tools such as BB facing tool can be as much as £500 per tool - I've seen the headset press/facing tool sell for £600

Neil

Attachments

• Campagnolo Wooden Toolkit.jpg
    Campagnolo Wooden Toolkit.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,671
I sold mine around 8 years ago when I put out the word a local bike shop owner & 2 other guys were keen to buy ( SW France area) theyall kept upping the offers so I asked them to sort it out between them selves & for the one willing to pay the highest to come & talk to me the tools were used but in good "nick "in the end I accepted 2300 Euros

Re:

Thanks guys, yes its the the kit in the photo above, but I think the kit for sale is older as the dividers is also wooden. I am not willing to pay ridiculous money, I am a hobby mechanic and this toolbox includes tools I rarely needs. But of course its a nice kit to have on the shelf and maybe its a valuable investment for the future. I will make him an offer and see how it goes.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

This is the kind of thing which I think makes a great practical collectible, which will hold in value even if carefully used. Would love one myself.

Re:

I bought the set i question, I paid more than what was proposed here but less than the going Ebay price. I am happy, but the seller did not look entirely happy when I left.

Back