What guidelines for qualification as retro/vintage

Ajoten

Old School Hero
I'm interested in how "new" you think a bike or component can be before considering it too modern to be classified as worthy of a retro ride.

E.g. These Eroica folks say older than 1987, and must have downtube shifters, toe clips, and exposed brake cables. However clipless peds came in c. 1984 so surely that should be ok. I can't find/don't want to spend £ on accoutrements such as period frame pumps or water bottles, have new shoes that vaguely have the look, and guess some people find certain "upgrades" acceptable on an old frame.

I know the retro spirit is the point, and "it's up to you how far you take it", but I wonder what individual's yardsticks are when it comes to feeling you're playing the game.

In my humble opinion when I'm looking over a bunch of bicycles the first thing I look out for is either down tube shifters, or stem mounted, then I'll look closer to see if its steel with a brazed lugged frame, at the same time any maker's name or other decals, then further examination.

Really depends on what you have an eye open for, people tend to have niche for the types of older bikes they are familiar with & hence look out for those, personally I'm not really interested in older style S.A. three speeds or with rod brakes.

So every-ones opinion of old / vintage is different

Re:

My personal check list includes:

Quill stem with single bolt
non-aero brake levers (i.e., graceful cables arching over the bars)
friction shifters
flat pedals or flat pedals with clips and straps
lugged frames
box section rims
cotton or leather bar tape. Vintage style vinyl tape also.

Extra bonus points for frame pump braze ons & lugged stems & high flange hubs

Re:

Surely you are looking at old bikes to fit that description. Eroica covers fairly modern stuff as well. I regard my 1983 531 Raleigh as just my older bike. Nothing special or rare and not worthy of a fancy label dreamed up by marketing and media types. To my mind retro is a term applied to fake old stuff, ie trendy Molteni shirts. Now't wrong with that but not old or classic. My 1930 ish Dawes might be a classic but its just one of thousands made so that also disqualifies it. Classics should be rare when new.
If you are playing Eroica then just go by the rules, its their ball. At least there is always a cheap option if you are happy to be period realistic, fit what you can find.

Re: Re:

dirttorpedo":2qgl9ins said:
My personal check list includes:

Quill stem with single bolt
non-aero brake levers (i.e., graceful cables arching over the bars)
friction shifters
flat pedals or flat pedals with clips and straps
lugged frames
box section rims
cotton or leather bar tape. Vintage style vinyl tape also.

Extra bonus points for frame pump braze ons & lugged stems & high flange hubs

I'd echo that. The Eroica rules pretty much nail it but mentioning 1987 was a mistake as there is always some clever dick who wants to point out that there were examples of clipless pedals and aero brakes around before 87, we all know that. The point is it is the bike features that count.

When I think of a L'Eroica bike I try to imagine a bike that is similar in feel and style to what the pros in the 60's or 70's would have ridden. My previous heroic bike came with Shimano 600 ex which felt just a tad too modern with its indexed shifting and cartridge style brake pads.

....as do some titanium :)

SpeedwellTitalite1.jpg

True, but for me a retro bike really needs to be steel.

Back