Campagnolo 10 Speed Shifter Question

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all,

I am running a 9 speed setup currently, using the following rear mech, of which I gather is a 10 speed mech:

10864706-2004287056475159.jpg

My shifters (ergo power Centaur items) i'm pretty sure are the reason why the mech is skipping in low gears, especially under load whilst climbing.

I am looking to switch to 10 speed, only requiring shifters and a new cassette, therefore my question is what shifters are compatible? I have read contrasting topics on this and i'm unsure whether I need newer style shifters i.e. the same era as the rear mech or can I get away with older 10 speed Campag shifters?

I'm running an ultrashift 10 speed lever with the third-generation shape (which i gather is a 2009 or 2010 part) with that style of rear mech no problem

i think all 10 speed kit is compatible, but i'm only about 90% sure on that

My 8 speed Athena does exactly the same. The harder the climb the more it skips up the gears. My next step will be to get the shifter into Mercian who are the nearest Campagnolo service centre. My guess was a worn spring/ratchet or pawl but only time will tell. Cheers Bill.

cce":2efco86c said:

Legend! This clarifies that all 10 speed setups are compatible:

Make sure that all the parts that you have are compatible with each other - all Campagnolo 10 speed parts will work with each other, all Campagnolo 9 speed parts will work with each other, and the 9 and the 10 speed rear gears are mechanically similar - the only difference being the width of the jockey wheels in some versions - checking the width can be done easily & quickly with a vernier and appropriate spares can be ordered from us ...

I seem to remember Graeme from Velotech posting on here not so long ago about the springs in the newer rear mechs (as in your photo) not being as strong as the older pre 2006 rear mech springs and causing shifting problems when matching the newer rear mechs with older pre 2006 shifters.

Re:

Hi MartinB123 & Rickster ...

Thanks for referring to our FAQs - much appreciated.

There *can* be (generally not-too-severe) problems with running RDs designed for Escape (2002-> Xenon, 2004->Mirage, 2007->Veloce & Centaur) and PowerShift (2012->Veloce & Centaur) RDs with the older-pattern "trad" ErgoPower levers.

Likewise with UltraShift 10s levers made in 2009 & 2010, because the return springs in the RDs are weaker.

The effect is more noticeable with UltraShift than it is with "trad" Ergos.

With UltraShift the lever uses the return spring in the RD rather more to help turn the internal than is the case with trad ErgoPower so in that case even quite simple cable runs can operate a little sluggishly in either upshift or downshift - you can usually get one direction of shift to work spot on but lose a bit of performance the other way.

With "trad" ErgoPower it's only really noticeable with complex cable runs or internal cabling to "soak up" a bit of the return force supplied by the derailleur springing.

The adverse effects in both cases get worse the longer the cables, chain etc are installed for as wear and tear effects cut in.

Having said all of that, the 10s kit is, as our FAQs suggest, broadly cross-compatible through the ranges.

HTH
Graeme

Back