Shimano uniglide cassette

bowser

Senior Retro Guru
I have a shimano 600 tricolour hub with a seven speed
Uniglide cassette running 12-24
Anyone know if I can get a cassette with a lower gear ?
I prefer a 28 for hill work

You should be able to fit an HG cassette - 12-28 is readily available. Early UG hubs cannot take HG cogs and lockrings, later ones can. Simplest is to swap the freehub body (around £15 new) and do a little invisible updating.

Yes, just huz the Uniglide body as far as you can and swap out for a 7spd Hyperglide freehub.

Unless your freehub is threaded internally for a Hyperglide hub as per Sheldon's picture

k7hub-3-stylessm.jpg

A few cheap MTB cassettes are still bolted together so theres nothing stopping you from mixing up a cassette suitable for your needs.

Re:

Thanks
Hadn't considered a six speed
Could be an option
Ive heard you can file a spline off
An hg cassette not sure how though

You should be able to find Uniglide gears up to about 32 if you want them. I normally spot them on eBay. Though they're getting quite pricey these days.

One more click here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-26T-U ... 2301948949

Make sure you have your eBay search set to 'worldwide' as I've seen quite a few in USA.

Alternative is to change your smaller front ring to a smaller number of teeth. I switched mine from a 42 to a 39.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

bowser":3jclttmo said:
Ive heard you can file a spline off
An hg cassette not sure how though
the spline is the trench in the freehub. You are looking at filing the tab on the cassette. Don't file it off, just file it (#) narrower, so its the same width as the others.

(#) I say "it" for the cassette as a whole, but in reality its for each sprocket.

I've done it, it works.
Best keep your existing smallest cog (unless its worn to buggery) as small end fitting is different from HG

Re:

If you don't go with Mr LGF's cassette then I can offer you a brand new climb any mountain 32 tooth sprocket,well probably most mountains some might be really steep.It is just the one though.

Back