Why can't I leave stuff alone ? (Seized BB content)

Sundayjumper

Specialized Fan
I picked up a (steel) Santana tandem a few weeks ago that I'm very pleased with, but unfortunately I always feel the need to fettle things. The BBs looked a bit manky on the outside despite feeling OK so I decided to whip them out. Front came out fairly easily. The rear, however, will not budge. It easily snapped the pins off my Park tool. Hammer & chisel will not move it either. I've filed flats on both cups and put it in the vice, and it still won't move. The cups seem rather soft. There's a cup & lockring on both sides. Pics below. I really should have left it alone :oops:

I'm now getting to the point I'm scared of permanently damaging it. Would a decent bike shop definitely be able to remove it ? If so I'm happy to pay, but I don't want to have a conversation that starts off with "it's now totally f**ked and the frame is scrap, that's £140 please" because right now I could put the cranks back on and it's still usable. Just not very pretty.

If it really comes to it and extreme heat will do the trick I'll spring for a respray but that wasn't really part of the plan.

Any ideas ??

tandem6.jpg

tandem7.jpg

tandem5.jpg

I won't ask what you were doing and however bad it may look take it to your lbs as i'm pretty certain it won't be the 1st time he will have delt with a situation like this so he'll probably us some wd40 before tackling it with the proper Tool ..

Re:

yeah, looks like you could probably push/poke the rubber seal against the axle out the way to enable you to squirt some penetrating fluid in for a start

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 500
Back