My Old "HR Morris" bike.

stevewillis

Retro Newbie
Hi, I am new to the Forum.

The reason I have joined is because my Son has recently bought a new bike, so I dug out my old racing bike from behind the shed so I could join him. I have had it since I was 14 and I bought it second hand then (I am 53 now !) So I am guessing it was made in the 1960's.

The bike has HR Morris logo and transfers and has some nice detail compared to a modern road bike, however it has suffered from neglect and has rust spots coming through. I have done some research on this forum and it seems HR Morris was quite a well know frame maker.

I have oiled up the chain, wheels and gears and it actually works OK and I've taken it out on the road, but my main question is what would be the best way to restore the frame, and if I got it re-sprayed can you still get the H R Morris decals. I would not want to ruin it by rubbing it down and loosing some of the detail on the frame.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• HR Morris 1.jpg
    HR Morris 1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,557
  • HR Morris 2.jpg
    HR Morris 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,557
  • HR Morris 3.jpg
    HR Morris 3.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,557
  • HR Morris 4.jpg
    HR Morris 4.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,558
Welcome :)

Always good to hear about an older bike being rescued and revived. Decals are available for your frame; here for example http://www.hlloydcycles.com/pdf%20list% ... %20L-Z.pdf . I can see that your badge type is listed. Loads of threads on here about refinishing (both if to do it, and where to go). Not everyone would respray a frame in your condition. Some prefer the patina of age and memories associated with the scratches and scrapes, others aim for the shiny, new look. I can personally recommend Bob Jackson in Leeds if you opt for a refinish. Did a great job a few years back for me. There are, of course, other people who will respray for you. I also have an Argos resprayed frame and that too is done to a very high standard.

Good luck and let us know what you do!

A few of my clubmates talk very nostalgically about Dick Morris' shop in Walthamstow back in the day and his frames were highly prized so certainly worth restoring. H Lloyd seem to have decals

Thanks for advise so far. I think what I will do is give it a good clean up, and see what spare parts I can find in the shed then see where to go from there. I'll certainly look up hlloydcycles for the decals.

Beautiful frame! That's older than you think. I'd date it early 50s on the lugs, but it looks like you might have a clip type headset which would make it earlier. Either way, would have been a really nice bit of kit back in the day. Edit: actually I can see the knurling on the lock washer, it's not a clip.

I'm one of those who wouldn't remove a paint job in that condition which had survived so long. It all still works so just needs some oil, grease, cables and brake blocks. Metal polish on the chrome work and an oily rag over the rest.

I agree, a good clean up and wax polish would bring it up nicely and keep an attractive patina. There are too many over-restored examples around which end up looking like replicas.

I agree with other comments here. Just clean up with an oily rag and some Autosol on the chrome bits and leave as is. Strip down and re-grease bearings of course and replace brake blocks with new but in a sympathetic style . Leave the transfers as they are if not too far gone. Morris only died a year or so back and was highly regarded as a frame builder especially the quality of his lug work. You are a lucky person to have a frame where you can see the work of the Master and it is only original once.

Back