Raleigh GT250 and derailleurs

bruise willies

Dirt Disciple
Good evening all, Ive posted on the MTB side, but never on here, so hello to you all!
I recently bought a Raleigh GT250 frameset and currently thinking about the rebuild. The frame and forks are tatty-sh, but nice enough not to restore and the cranks, headset etc are all in very good condition.
I'm not looking to do a full resto, but I would like to keep things roughly period, or at least in the spirit of things.
For the moment, I'm thinking singlespeed using the Raleigh cottered cranks and a respaced Campy 5 speed hub.
However, in my parts stash, I have a set of TA Cyclotourist cranks that I'd like to use at some point with the 5 speed rear.
My question is really about dearailleurs from that time, i.e. what actually works and doesn't cost a fortune? I know the Grand Sport had Gran Sport shifting, but I'm not sure about the GT. These mechs do seem to have the usual Campy mark-up, so I'm looking to use something a bit more prosaic, but I'd still like it all to work reasonably well. Moon-on-a-stick?

Older Suntour stuff works fine and doesn't pay the Campag fashion tax. As it's all friction shifting you can mix and match.

An inexpensive alternative is Huret.

Back