Replacement Campag Chain rings (and chainset advice)

LukeFRC

Dirt Disciple
Any clue where's best to pick up new chain rings for campag veloce 9 speed triple chainset? I imagine it's from the early 90's.

Now the advice question....

Picked up a new bike today - was sold as a frame with the rest of the bits being extra as it needs a bit of work. Luckily I can fix it up no problems but the teeth on the crankset are worn away.

it's also a triple which is a bit of a surprise. 50/40/30 chainrings. The rear cassette is a 12/26
(though a long cage derailleur).

My old bike I'm selling cos the frame was too big for me - I had trouble getting it up hills - and ran out of low gears.
That frame had a 53-39 crankset, and a 13/28 cassette (though a short cage derailleur)

I've now got a bike frame that fits me... I'm thinking the triple cranks to help me with the hills .... and then which cassette makes sense?

Re:

the outer 2 rings are std Campag double rings - often 53/39 or 53/42, 135BCD Can't remember the inner rings size, I think it'as 74BCD?

image_1.jpeg
that's what's on currently

Interestingly the triple with the smaller cassette gives both a higher and a lower gear than the double with the compact cassette.

Re:

And it will actually run quite happily on the medium derailleurs, so to go compact to triple needs only a triple chainset and BB.

I did this originally, then upgraded to Comp Triple with Record Triple C/S. Lovely setup. (I run 9spd for longevity and reliability)

Re: Re:

BigFoz":2syvke8x said:
Actually, looking at it, it's a Racing-T front derailleur, and the C/S is 53/42/30

what size cassette are you running?

Going from my photo to yours... that record chain rings are things of beauty

Running a 12-25 on the back, other wheel I use on this bike has a 13-26. That gets me easily up everything I've encountered so far living up here in Scotland, including the Mennock Pass, The Ross on Arran, and the String on Arran (the biggest hills I've tried in a while). Basically the setup gives you a "trad" double for training, with a granny bolted on with little increase of weight, and is a thing of beauty - fabulous.

I have a 52 Veloce ring you can have for £5 posted.

I have run a 12-23 plus a 24T difference on the front with a Racing T rear long cage mech. With a short cage 1996 Chorus rear I just got away with 18T on the front - in both cases I got away with big-big and small-small being usable.

hamster":2kywwsh5 said:
I have a 52 Veloce ring you can have for £5 posted.

I have run a 12-23 plus a 24T difference on the front with a Racing T rear long cage mech. With a short cage 1996 Chorus rear I just got away with 18T on the front - in both cases I got away with big-big and small-small being usable.

Cheers for the offer - I'll check but think I've got a 52 from my old bike that will work - thinking I can probably use the chain rings from the old bike and run 52-38-30 ?
I need to look at the condition of the 30 and 50 on there currently the 40 is shot.

On them they are labeled "50-40" and "40-30" - what does that mean is that something about how it shifts or something?

Back