Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:10 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:54 am 
Retro Guru

Mine in over 25 years old and looks the same as Gazelleer's, with the same push on adapter. The rubber washer wore out years ago, must be 15, and I haven't used the pump since then. I bought a spare from a bike shp but it didn't fit. I always have a Zefal HPX on my bike so I use that.

The gauge is perfectly fine, there's a red needle which you can set. In any case I only used the needle as an approximate guide, mainly as not to over inflate. The final pressure check is done by squeezing the tyre.

I did buy a cheap track pump from Lidl (I think £7* but it was a few years ago), just for the pump head to fit on to my SKS. I only finally got round to using it a few weeks ago! And it seems too good to cut off the head! So my SKS remains unused. The Lidl pump does have a wide barrel though and pumps a lot of air on each stroke so I need to be careful not to over inflate.

I try to use bars (6.5 - 7 bars is usually about right for me) but it seems cyclists in the UK have followed the Americans and use psi.

*about 8 Euros

Last edited by fiks on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:58 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I have found a source of supply; Zyrofisher is able to supply the 40mm washer required - which they have done. So my pump is up and running again. Brilliant and helpful service: can’t praise them highly enough. www.zyrofisher.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:07 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi fiks,
Not to be taken too seriously, but I just couldn't let this go unchallenged,
"but it seems cyclists in the UK have followed the Americans and use psi."
I think you will find we in the UK were using psi from the very beginning. The Bar is a metric system unit from meteorologists who have only latterly introduced the Bar.
The USA, like us continue to use our older system of pressure.
Regards,
Robin.
aka 531Man

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:55 pm 

HI! I'm wondering something about the SKS Rennkompressor and this feels like the right place to ask for advice.

I have an SKS pump - really simple wood and steel thing - that I bought over 10 years ago for £10, and I really like how simple it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/utrf44qufd62p ... 1.JPG?dl=0

Over the years, SKS have sent me replacement parts when it failed, which I have appreciated. But recently, the head broke, and they have told me that they do not have replacement hoses for this pump any more, but that I can attach a new head.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rq0yvb1ohte1n ... 2.JPG?dl=0

Which is fine ... but actually I am curious ... is this hose connection to the base really different from the Rennkompressor?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0nq5azigvy97 ... 7.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/822wl67ouyvju ... 4.JPG?dl=0

I'd say it's about 8mm diameter and 28tpi but please take a look yourself.

I'm a bit skeptical that that SKS designers would randomly change the gauge and threading on their hoses between models, but maybe they did? I don't know.

It would be reassuring to know if I can swap out this hose for a Rennkompressor hose if needed down the line.

In the meantime I'll attach a new head to this one and keep it alive!