Size of road wheels

Drapoon

Kona Fan
Tried to fit some 700c tyres to my retro road project & looks like I have 27 inch wheels. Will it be a struggle to get hold of some tyres & should I just replace with some cheap 700c rims?

Not clued up with road bikes as you can prob tell!

I think you may/can run into trouble if your brakes don't have enough drop in them, ie. the pads won't go low enough to meet the rim of the 700c.

I'm sure you can still get 27" road tyres. I know it goes against the grain - but try Halfords?

If you're really, really desperate I know a man who might be able to help.

Somehow my message vanished but yes try SJS :roll:

Also reckon you may be able to use 700c's but may necessitate a change of brakes dependat on your drop, have a look round sheldons site for facts and data.

Agree with everything said re brake drops. If you have a nice 27" er then you should really stick with 27" otherwise the clearances are going to look horrible.

Unfortunately the run of the mill 27" tyres are usually 1 1/4" and a bit like MTB's. I have a 1976 Roberts and used to run Michelin 27 x 7/8" back in the early 80's which were OK - not nearly as narrow as todays 700c 20mm's or so. I have a pair of Schwalbe 1 1/4" but cannot bring myself to use them.

Back