Porteur 50s Unrestored Any Ideas????

SullyW5

Old School Hero
Hi All

Picked up this lovely porteur last year from a gent who acquired it in Paris.

Any ideas as to the marque or any info at all?

I know next to nothing about these but just fell in love with the box lining, pin striping paint finish.

No idea what's original but unrestored. Even the 650b tyres look original.

Hubs say New-Star 85....no frame number that I can see. Hopefully the rest you can make out in the linked photos.

http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Sulleb ... ris%20Find

Any info much appreciated! Thanks, Sully

Attachments

• Porteur 1.jpg
    Porteur 1.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 533
  • Porteur 2.jpg
    Porteur 2.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 533
Re:

Lovely looking bike there Sully. The bracket on the left rear chain stay for a pedal back brake? Didn't New Star hubs become Maliard or something? Can't remember. Love the lining on the forks.

Simon.

Re: Re:

COUPES":viwie0pg said:
Lovely looking bike there Sully. The bracket on the left rear chain stay for a pedal back brake? Didn't New Star hubs become Maliard or something? Can't remember. Love the lining on the forks.

Simon.

Thanks Simon

The bracket on the left rear chain stay for a pedal back brake? No idea but that makes a lot of sense!

Didn't New Star hubs become Maliard or something? I hadn't even heard of them before!

See....your two points ahead already! Me know nuffink :facepalm:

The lining is beautiful isn't it....I actually picked this up when I was going to try lining another bike but after seeing this!....best I've seen I think.

I've popped it on ebay for what I think is a reasonable price. Just too many bikes and not enough garages.

Re:

Know that too many project feeling. Got to be 50s I would think Sully. Someone may know more. Good luck with ebay too!

Simon

That looks like a 1970s Philippe stem but they made stems which looked like that for some time. Some of those with the open back were known as the death stem, depending how it is slotted at the bottom.

My gut feel is it's a later bike in a traditional style.

Jonny69":2cyw5v2e said:
That looks like a 1970s Philippe stem but they made stems which looked like that for some time. Some of those with the open back were known as the death stem, depending how it is slotted at the bottom.

My gut feel is it's a later bike in a traditional style.

Maybe? The rear light is certainly a 70's add on. My gut says 50's so it all comes down to who has the biggest gut! Please PM me with pictures of your gut and a tape measure around the circumference.

I am resisting the urge to strip the frame and find out.

The new-star 85 hubs should date it if anybody knows when they were produced.

Re:

Looked at Alex Singer as a possibility for your bike Sully but nothing definate. Sure that's a pedal back brake bracket and extra strength in the stays seems,to make sense. As to year its a quandry. Maillard hubs seemed to make alot of different hubs like Atom. Not sure if or when Duprat stoped making cranks?

Simon

Alex Singer? Hmm...good one!

Agree that's certainly a back brake bracket.

I'm happy to pass this on to somebody else to figure out. I knew nothing about Porteurs when I picked this up. and know little more now! It was a lovely bike to resurrect though and more useable than I thought it would be.

Should have said earlier, the guy I got it from WAS into Porteurs though and had rebuilt another one he said was identical except for the lining (? I think that was the difference). He was convinced it was 50's and said it was a common Porteur manufacturer but couldn't remember the name off the top of his head. I tried to follow up but of course his email closed down.

He actually owned a small bike shop near me and I picked this up when he closed down. It had been left outside for a couple of years....project in waiting.

Back