Raleigh Grand Turismo GT250

SullyW5

Old School Hero
Hi All

Just thought I'd share a few pics of this genuine barn find for those interested. Nice to see one and a really nice ride! Especially like the Raleigh branded hubs and Dunlop narrow lightweight rims.

Frame number 1391994. I'm guessing '62 - '63 but welcome your thoughts?

Should the handlebar cloth be white or black? I can't find this model in a catalogue

http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Sulleb ... ismo%20250

Attachments

• DSC_0338.jpg
    DSC_0338.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,303
  • DSC_0346.jpg
    DSC_0346.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1,302
  • DSC_0336.jpg
    DSC_0336.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,301
  • DSC_0341.jpg
    DSC_0341.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,304
Love it! The frame even has a bit of Carlton about it - ie the wrap over seat stays. Wonder if it is a Worksop frame.

Thanks Spokessmann

Hadn't thought of that. I think it's the only Raleigh with wrap over stays and unfortunately, doesn't appear in any catalogues I can find. Nice to think it could be a Worksop or at least a nod to Carlton.

It's a lovely ride....much nippier than the 70's 5-speeds I've owned.

Id say a Worksop frame found its way over to Nottingham. The frame just says Carlton, whats the finishing like on it? The Carlton/Sun frames of this period, Ive found are nicely made and finished esp around the lugs.

OH!....of course. Makes sense it being a Carlton.

Hmmm...not sure how to grade it?

It's better than many I've seen, especially the seat stay. I'll upload some better pics this evening and update the thread.

Looks just like a Gran Sport to me.

Attachments

• Raleigh-Gran-Sport.jpg
    Raleigh-Gran-Sport.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,211
  • Raleigh-Gran-Sport.jpg
    Raleigh-Gran-Sport.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,211
I love that frame! Looking for one at the moment

I read on here somewhere that it was the same frame used but again, as Spokessmann said, this could be a Carlton as well?

Back