Orange D2 Aluminium 1994? Dura Ace

petestaunch

Retro Newbie
Hello

First post, and what a great site!

I'm looking for some advice on an Orange Road bike. Photos attached.

I was an Orange MTB fan in the early 90s and still have my Alu Elite ( in pieces.....somewhere), and ten years ago, on a whim I bought an Orange D2 Road bike which i've owned ever since and barely ridden. I know precious little about road bikes. It's a glorious looking thing and it seems to be working apart from the right shifter which has given up the ghost and needs replacing. The cheapest Dura Ace shifter I can find is going to be about £60, which i'm probably going to replace soon so I can ride the thing. Once this is done i'm not sure whether to sell or keep. Even though it's an oldish bike, it's absolutely top drawer and im debating selling it and getting something a bit more pedestrian to hack around on. What might it be worth?

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 531
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 531
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_3662.JPG
    IMG_3662.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 532
Re:

If you ever feel the need to part with that bike, please let me know. :D

I think there may be someone on here who can fix those shifters. Otherwise, second hand ones crop up fairly often, but some ebay sellers vastly inflate the prices, so you may be better off putting a wanted ad on here.

Blast the shifter through with a load of WD40. The grease tends to harden and gum the thing up and dissolving it with the WD will get it moving again in many cases. Lube afterwards with a little light oil.

Thanks I will definitely give the wd40 a go. Can anyone recommend someone who can fix? If not i'll put a wanted ad up here.

Thanks for the offers to purchase. Will definitely consider. Not sure I have the grace for a road bike

I fixed the Ultegra 6400 STIs on my father's Dyna-Tech 755ti a couple of months back. As Hamster says, the internal grease goes solid and locks the whole things up.

Someone had posted up the step-by-step process online. I'll see if I can dig it out. The only real issue I had was the need for a special Shimano tool at one stage (the online dude used needle nosed pliers -- mine were too big). In the end, a slightly adapted chainring bolt tool did the trick. I cleaned up the insides using isopropyl alcohol (something like WD40 would also do), regressed and reassembled. STIs work like a charm now.

Back